More on Fridge/freezer insulation

One of everybodies' favorite topics. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's refrigerator here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Hans Grasman

More on Fridge/freezer insulation

Post by Hans Grasman »

Hi Folks
Been doing some more homework on this subject.
Standout Yacht Fittings supplies"Super Q" Ice Saver Blankets(1101 series)
An insulated blanket just 1/2" thick fits on top of loaded ice boxes and refrigerators. Directly on top of the food and drink.
This blanket will allow ice to last 3 times longer, be 20 degrees colder and allows 3 times the cooling power. Fridge engine run hours are reduced 30 to 50%.
You need to give them exact measurements of your unit. Cost 8 cents per sq.inch
They also supply pads for inside walls and bottom-waterproof closed cell foam sandwiched with "double-bubble" foil 3/4" thick 7 cents per sq.inch.

I am going to take the measurements and order the stuff and will let you know how well it works. Be back on board Dec. 17 but will probably tackle this project after Jan. 3.
In the meantime if any of you want to get a head start.
The person to contact is Jo Hamilton. She is the owner of Standout Yacht Fittings 1-800-622-1877 E-mail Jo@StandoutYachtFittings.com
EvenKeel

Adding interior insulation

Post by EvenKeel »

Hans-

Have you tried out the insulation that you described? Now that I've gotten obvious air leaks sealed up and will soon vent the compressor exhaust out of the boat, I'm led back to insulation around the box. I thought perhaps there might be a way to put injectable 2-part foam in some areas around the outside of the box, but that would probably create more problems that it would solve. The thought of sticking insulation on the inside walls brings up the possibility of trapped moisture and mold, but I'm starting to lean in that direction anyway. Perhaps the Standout Yacht Fittings liner material would fit the bill.

Gary
Even Keel II
Hans Grasman

refrigeration

Post by Hans Grasman »

Gary
I just started this month to insulate the freezer/refr. I followed Michael Bourassa's and Bill Welsch's suggestions. (These are on our Catalina website)
The following steps have been completed:
Add insulation(Walmarts insulated camping mats of about 1/2 or 3/4 inch foam pads they come in a nice blue color).
I place the foam pads in the freezer compartment under the lid and the walls of the refrigeration compartment plus the door and under the cover lid.
It looks nice.
I also added DAP a foam in all the open spaces under the lip around the covers and all open corners.
Drilled small holes under the cover lids,door and freezer walls and filled them with DAP foam. Sealed it with 1/4" small white plastic plugs.(available in hard ware stores) Also looks good.
Follow Mike Bourassa's instructions dated April 29 2007.
Also use the 5/8 inch black gasket material available a Home Depot to further insulate the freezer and fridge top hatches.
I still need to place a low amp fan in the starboard aft locker to disperse the warm air from the compressor.
In the meantime I have already seen great results from the insulation.
Beer in the bottom of the refrigerator started to freeze. A bag of ice which has been in the freezer for a week is still solid ice.
Overnight on the hook I disconnected the power source to the fridge/freezer. Next morning all ice was still frozen.
I have much less condensation on the top of the freezer hatch.
The boat is located in Punta Gorda Fl. where we still have 82 degree days.
Since we purchased a condo in Burnt Store Marina we will spend less time on the hook.
I am happy as a clam with my C350 and have taken it off the market.
The boat market is as bad as the housing market :(
EvenKeel

Post by EvenKeel »

Great news, Hans. Sounds like an idea worth trying.

I assume that the camping pads are closed-cell foam. Have you cemented them to the walls? Did you cover the bottom of the compartments? I think I would be inclined not to cover the bottom, to avoid problems with trapped water.

The 5/8" gasket material-- is it the stuff they sell along with all the other types of weather stripping at Home Depot?

Which walls did you inject foam into (or through)? Do you know where the foam went?

Sorry to hear about the real estate outlook there. I know that SW Florida is in worse shape than many areas.

Thanks-
Gary