Altrnative Brand for Alder Barbour Fridge.

One of everybodies' favorite topics. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's refrigerator here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Pgtjs

Altrnative Brand for Alder Barbour Fridge.

Post by Pgtjs »

Hi folks.

Has anyone replaced the original AB unit with a different manufacturer's more efficient unit? What are the model details and how successful was it in reducing the run time.

I have an AB Model 201-134(?) which runs most of the time in the summer and draws about 4-5 amps per hour. Somewhere I read that it should average about 1.8 to 2.4 amps draw which implies it should run less than 50% of the time as it draws those 4-5 amps when running. The only improvements to the present system I've made are that the door seals have all been replaced and we leave an insulated bath mat on the top of the freezer and fridge sections.

Thanks in anticipation,

Geoff. Taeko 1V, C392, Semiahmoo WA.
Geoff.S., Semiahmoo, WA.
KenKrawford

Re: Altrnative Brand for Alder Barbour Fridge.

Post by KenKrawford »

Geoff, I've no experience with anything other than the stock Adler Barbour that came with the boat. Like you, I struggled with compressor run times of 85-90% however I'm in Atl. GA and you're in the Pac. NW. Unless you are low on Freon or there is some other problem with your unit, I suspect the long compressor run times are due to the minimal amount of insulation Catalina put around the refrig. & freezer boxes. Your signature shows hull number 392 which means you have a Mk II. I've heard fewer refrigerator complaints from Mk II owners that those with earlier hulls.
Have you had anyone check out the unit to see if it is running properly? Have you checked temperatures in the evaporator and refrigerator? Does your evaporator seem to frost up quickly after defrosting? Knowing a bit more about your problem might shed some light on the proper direction to follow.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
TBOT422

Post by TBOT422 »

Ken,

We have hull 422 and are not a Mark II, so I don't know when the changeover was. Like all of us, I too have struggled with an AC Unit that runs nearly all the time. We live and cruise in central FL, so it is hot and humid. I have added some insulation around the doors, but still have issues with frost and condensation on the counter top. A fan blowing across the counter top keeps the condensation under control. You mentioned something about the freezer frosting over quickly after defrosting. We have that problem when cruising as we have to open the fridge and freezer to get to supplies. I can leave the boat pretty much unattended at the dock for weeks (months during the winter) with the fridge on and it does not frost up too bad, but when cruising, it will frost up pretty bad within a couple of days. We typically have to defrost the freezer about once a week when cruising in the summer. Is that normal, or is that indicative of a Freon problem? I have always just assumed that the influx of hot humid air every time you open the door was the culprit that created the frost, and I just had to live with it, and defrost frequently when cruising.

Thanks for any advice you might have.
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Gary, I added insulation all around my freezer and refrigerator boxes and also added insulation behind the panel of the door on the front of the refrig. It was a big project but made a huge difference in compressor run times. In the heat of summer, my run times are now 55-60%. Here's a link to the discussion - viewtopic.php?f=16&t=396
I think evaporator frost is either due to air leaks (door gaskets, countertop seal) or frequent opening of refrig/freezer doors in humid weather. We have considered having a separate Igloo type cooler for drinks to cut down on the number of times we open/close the doors. When possible I also try to use the top refrig. door instead of the front door to prevent heavy, cold air from spilling out the front of the unit. I think you're correct about the cause of the frost in your situation.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
Lulu

Post by Lulu »

http://catalina350.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1157

In this thread you can read what I did for replacement on Tiki. I love love love the results but also made some of the insulation improvements recommended in Kens post

Cold beer and popsicles galore and auto defrost is the bomb
Leslie West
S/V Tiki Hull 154
Docked Pensacola Florida