Elapsed time meter installation

One of everybodies' favorite topics. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's refrigerator here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

SeaBreeze

Elapsed time meter installation

Post by SeaBreeze »

I want to install a 12 vdc elapsed time meter to track frig run time before and after re insulation of the box. If I put it in parallel with the pos and neg wires between the panel breaker and the condenser mounted terminal strip pos and neg will I always see 12 vdc or only see 12 when thermostat calls for the compressor to run? Or should it be wired in series on pos wire between breaker and terminal strip?

Rick
Sea Breeze
Rick Parish
Sea Breeze
KenKrawford

Re: Elapsed time meter installation

Post by KenKrawford »

Rick I installed an hour meter on my refrigeration system 10 yrs ago. I wired mine directly to the terminal strip on the condenser. There are some unused spade terminals that are only hot when the compressor is running. Unfortunately, I can't remember which one I used. I'll check next time I'm at my boat. I mounted the meter in the small lazaret on the starboard side aft.
Are you doing the insulation upgrade that Jim Gienko wrote up in Mainsheet? It's quite a bit of work but highly recommended. My compressor run times went for 95 percent to 55 percent. Let me know if you have any questions.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
skimsail

Post by skimsail »

One way to do it is to connect the timer to the two terminals that lead to the compressor (condenser) motor, where you have both negative and the compressor run wire. You can use a vom or a 12volt light bulb to see which wire comes on when the compressor kicks on as the thermostat calls for it to run.
The thermostat is in the refrigerator itself and will be hard to connect even if you can lead the negative wire into it.
Shaun
SeaBreeze

Post by SeaBreeze »

I don't have the wiring diagram of my 13 year old unit. Looking at the on line diagram of a new unit I see two terminals for use to power an auxiliary cooling water pump. Could these be what you used Ken? If so, were they labeled? Shaun, do you recall the labels of the two terminals you are referring to?
Thank you both
Rick
Rick Parish
Sea Breeze
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Rick, on my unit I believe the unused terminals for a water pump are both positive (hot) leads so you can use one but you'll need a ground as well. I added a double spade terminal to the existing ground and used it. In looking at the schematics shown on the Adler website, it appears the water pump terminals have a pos and neg terminal. Your best bet is to use a multimeter and test each terminal to determine which are hot when the compressor is running.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA