Galley Sink

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's plumbing here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Holo Nui

Galley Sink

Post by Holo Nui »

I'm looking to replace the hose and nozzle - Any idea what brand the original fixture was?

Dan Brodsky
Holo Nui #354
Dan Brodsky
Toronto, ON
Holo Nui - #354
digitalvillager

Re: Galley Sink

Post by digitalvillager »

I found a great replacement for the galley sink hose and nozzle at Lowe's. I think I paid $19 and it was a great match. The hose and fitting are a standard size, so any replacement should fit.
Charlie & Jeanne Monroe
PO Hull #285
Amelia Island, Florida
Richard Thabit

Post by Richard Thabit »

Please let me know how you removed the old hose from under the galley sink. I have been trying to no avail because I cannot get into the small space with the wrench to loosen the nut holding the hose to the rigid pipe coming down from the sink. I am "living" with the end of a hose with no spray head that I jury rigged so I still have water at the galley sink. Good luck.
Richard
Three Sheets C350 #111
Air Mobility

Post by Air Mobility »

When I replaced my galley faucet, I had to disassemble it from the top down. I tried to work from below the sink but was unable to get any tool to fit into that space. I tried to remove the sink, but that also proved impossible.(for me) I was finally able to remove enough of the faucet to drop it through the mounting hole. I hope this helps. Good luck.

George
Air Mobility
Hull 158
Richard Thabit

Post by Richard Thabit »

Thank you.
When I build up enough confidence, or at the end of the season, I will give it a try.
Richard
Three Sheets
Chuck_on_Hudson

Post by Chuck_on_Hudson »

Hi,

I just went through a replacement of the galley faucet hose and had to do all kinds of research about it. This took a couple of weeks - so I hope my note here can save somebody time and effort.

I have hull 320 built in late 2004.

The galley faucet I have in my boat is made by an Italian company called Aravon. They have a website that has a 2014 parts catalog that shows hoses, but all attempts to contact them by email failed. I cannot find any US distributors, and Catalina Direct never heard of them, but I see that their parts are used in the UK and Oz for marine applications. (The catalog also shows the galley faucet head, but only in white plastic and not in bright chrome finish)

To fix the galley hose, I first removed it under the sink by using two crows foot tools attached to two ratchets with length extension bars on them. It was not fun, because there is not much room, but with enough contorsions and trying I succeeded. Once the fittings were loosened, you can pull the hose out from the top of the faucet. Do not throw the hose out yet!

I found a replacement hose kit at Lowes. Look for the one called a "universal' faucet hose replacement kit. It comes with a whole bunch of various fittings in it which is important.

The kit also includes the conical end-piece fitting with an o-ring around the outside and this is the piece that is screwed onto the end of the galley faucet and goes into the faucet stem when you stow it inside. The conical part that comes with the kit from Lowes is just a little bit too long for the existing faucet and it will not compress the washer that goes in it, so you need to cut the old hose and remove and keep the conical fitting that was part of the old hose. (Note that the conical fitting is one piece, even though it might look like you could unscrew it with the o-ring in the middle).

The fitting underneath the galley sink is a metric one. In the Lowes kit you will find a brass fitting that has the same thread pattern on one end and a 'quick connect' male fitting on the other. A black rubber washer will be used to seal this fitting on the metric end. Screw together the metric fitting with washer to its mate underneath. This time I used a crows foot to tighten one nut and I used a 5/8" wrench that I supported with a roll of paper towels so that the wrench was constrained to be between the two sinks. When I started to turn the crows foot, the wrench and nut turned a little and then the wrench was pressed hard against the sink. At that point I could tighten the fitting with the ratchet. In the hose kit, you will find a female quick connect fitting that is compatible with the standard American nut fitting that is part of the hose. Now underneath the sink you have a nice quick connect connection between the faucet supply side and the faucet hose.

Thread the hose through the faucet body from the bottom up because there is a nut on the other end of the hose (plus you may have already done the quick connection). In my case I had to first run a small diameter leader line through the faucet body so I could get the hose to make the tight turn through the faucet body.

On the faucet end of the hose, place the original conical metal and o-ring fitting on the hose, then find the flat-face fitting that screws into the faucet end of the hose. Put in a flat washer, and screw the faucet head and the conical fitting together. You are done!

I hope this helps
Richard Thabit

Post by Richard Thabit »

Thanks Chuck.
I printed your detailed instructions.
Richard