Head sink drain

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's plumbing here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

belladonna

Head sink drain

Post by belladonna »

The sink in the head drains very slowly. I have cleaned the drain and then when I open a dockside water hose nozzle full blast, the drain flows fine with no back flow into the sink basin. Yet when I turn right around and run water from the faucet into the sink, it starts to back up again. Anyone have any suggestions that are really doable?? Thanx, Jim #368
Jim Lassiter
2005 Catalina 350 "BELLA DONNA" # 368
White Stone, VA (lower Chesapeake Bay)
KevinMc

Re: Head sink drain

Post by KevinMc »

My sink drains at the same slow speed and I believe it's a combination of (a) the small size drain line and (b) the fact the outside water level is only about a foot below the drain in the sink (c) the in-line filter slowing the flow of water. On my boat the outside water level is right about at the in-line filter height so I believe the fact the sink water only travels a foot is the cause of the slow draining. (Note - The PO installed a wash down pump under the head sink which uses the sink drain line as the "pick up" line - gotta love boat owners thinking outside the box!)

With that said, the galley sink drains fine but it's also a larger drain line and has no in-line filter.
Kevin
NavSta Norfolk Marina
Pete Bruzik

Post by Pete Bruzik »

I keep a small plunger on the shower shelf - I can plunge it and then it drains freely and 15 minutes it is slow again... I do not think it is anything to do with the plumbing - happens very often. I have never "sucked" anything back into the sink...
I gave up thinking about it and we just "grab the plunger" works every time. HOWEVER I do have it labeled "do not use for toilet!" (guests get desperate when head does not work as expected!) and the proper use of the plunger is part of "talk" about the "how a marine toilet works" for guests...
Fat Cat

Post by Fat Cat »

The sink in our head drains very slowly, too. I believe the water has to pass through an anti-siphon loop on it's way out, that probably impedes the flow somewhat.

Fat Cat
Holo Nui

Post by Holo Nui »

I thought the sink was designed that way to conserve water for shaving etc. hahaha
Dan Brodsky
Toronto, ON
Holo Nui - #354
jonnjones

Post by jonnjones »

I think the sink in the head occasionally backs up / drains slowly because of the run of the drain hose. At the bottom of the sink, the drain hose turns almost horizontal and then makes a 90 degree turn to vertical over the thru-hull. This arrangement together with a small diameter hose allows for an airlock to form. I've considered re-running the hose to eliminate the horizontal run, but the clogging is not enough of nuisance to inspire me to work out a better flow. What I do is use my little finger as a plunger -- insert little finger into the drain, remove finger vigorously, repeat until the air bubble comes out, and then the sink drains.
Jon and Lori Jones
S/V Wind Orchid
Annapolis
Hull #273
R.B.

Post by R.B. »

We leave a small straw sticking in the drain. Seems to work a little better.
Ralph

WOLFHELM
C350 #342
nybor

Post by nybor »

Ok, so I see the responses are quite old! (not me by the way). So any update on how to remedy the very slow draining of the head sink? Heck, maybe I should install an inline 12 volt water pump and push button to evacuate the bowl (aka like in aircraft?)..

I have tried multiple ways and it still drains too slowly.

Any new ideas? Heck the last posts were almost .........8 years ago?????? Yikes

thanks

dave bloomquist, NYBOR 411
sargentef

Post by sargentef »

we use a long handled baby bottle brush of the same diameter from time to time, check through haul fitting for marine life, check anti siphon "rubber"!