Galley sink loses water pressure on 2 of 3 tanks

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's plumbing here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

PHerzfeld

Galley sink loses water pressure on 2 of 3 tanks

Post by PHerzfeld »

Hi all,

I'm not much of a plumber so excuse me if there's an obvious answer to this.

When I have the main (forward) water tank turned off (or empty) the water pressure in the galley sink drops to almost a dribble even though the other two tanks (mid & aft) are full and open. At the same time, the head sink has normal pressure, and so does the shower. Only the galley sink pressure drops. If I open the forward tank the galley pressure returns to normal. I thought all three were feeding the same system and evenly pressurized from the pump? Am I wrong? What could cause that symptom and where should I be looking to resolve it?

Thanks in advance of any help or suggestions,

Phil
Paramethia
Hull #55
Phil
Paramethia
Hull #55
DuncanMcMillan

Re: Galley sink loses water pressure on 2 of 3 tanks

Post by DuncanMcMillan »

Try closing 2 of 3 .
Duncan #248
Para Handy
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Phil, try taking the aerator out of the galley faucet. It simply unscrews from the end. I'll bet there's a bunch of crud trapped on the screen. Run the faucet with the aerator out to confirm.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
Triumph

Post by Triumph »

Is there any difference in hot water verses cold water with the various tanks?
Do you close the valve to the forward tank when it is empty or you use one of the other tanks?

Bill

TRIUMPH
DuncanMcMillan

Post by DuncanMcMillan »

I close the valve on the empty forward tank as the flow starts to weaken, turn off the faucet, turn on the next tank valve, turn faucet back on. A few burps and then full flow.
Should not be any difference in hot versus cold for the various tanks.
Duncan #248
Para Handy
Steve A

Post by Steve A »

Can someone tell me which valve if for the tank in the bow and which is for the tank in the stern? They two valves are lined up from port to starboard under the galley sink.

Steve A.
Jester
Hull # 160
Steve Abdow
S/V Jester, Hull 160
S. Dartmouth, MA
TBOT422

Post by TBOT422 »

On our 350, the valve for the forward tank is directly to port of the sink drain seacock. The valve for the aft tank is aft of the sink drain seacock. Of course there is probably very little likelihood that Catalina put any of the valves in the same place on any two boats.

It should be pretty easy to tell. Open one of the valves and run all the water out (be sure the second valve is closed), then check the tank gauge above the chart table and see which one is empty. Close that valve and open the other and see if the water pump pressurizes and you have water (assuming it is not empty as well). Then, with BOTH valves CLOSED, fill either the front tank or the aft tank, and check the tank gauge above the chart table. One of them should be full and the other less than full. The full one is the tank that you filled. It is important that you keep both valves CLOSED while filling a specific tank. If both of the valves are open, water will flow from one tank to the other and you won't know which is which. I use this fact all the time when cleaning and filling the tanks. If both valves are open you can fill both tanks with water flowing into only one of them. Very convenient!

Good Luck
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)
nybor

Post by nybor »

Hi folks.
I decided to clean my two tanks with Clorox (1/4 cup only) and then Vinegar. However, now neither of the tank monitor indicators show anything. I read how to calibrate them and tried both full and then empty. Has anyone had this happen to them? They worked fine before my cleaning. - Isn't that always the case!

thanks

dave
KevinMc

Post by KevinMc »

Here is the link to the tank monitoring system I have installed to hull #59. At the bottom of the web site page are links to the manuals. I had to replace the system on my boat last year and Dennis was great to work with.

http://www.ferriellosales.com/Monitoring_Systems.html
Kevin
NavSta Norfolk Marina
wcconway

Post by wcconway »

Dennis at Ferriello sales is great! Helped us via phone during an upgrade. And, even called back to check in on is. We highly recommend his products!
Wally & Coco Conway
, #467
Pensacola, Florida