Fresh water in bilge from water heater cold water inlet line

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's plumbing here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

belladonna

Fresh water in bilge from water heater cold water inlet line

Post by belladonna »

While cruising this week I noticed the bilge pump cycling on & off and the fresh water pump running continuously; this was not the case at anchor the night before. There was fresh water running into the bilge from the weep holes on the starboard side. I turned the water pump off and the flow into the bilge stopped. I then turned off all valves on the cold water manifold and turned the water pump on and it pressurized immediately. Then one by one I opened and closed each valve on the manifold and each allowed the pump to pressurize until I got to the cold water supply line to the water heater. When turning this valve open the pump ran continuously and the water again flowed thru the weep holes into the bilge. There was no leak at the water heater so the leak must be in the hose and/or connector somewhere between the manifold and the water heater. Since the fresh water was flowing into the bilge I'm thinking the leak must be somewhere close to under the galley sink area. Has anyone experienced this before, if so where was the leak coming from and what did you do to repair it? Thanx, Jim aboard Bella Donna # 368
Jim Lassiter
2005 Catalina 350 "BELLA DONNA" # 368
White Stone, VA (lower Chesapeake Bay)
Chips Ahoy!

Re: Fresh water in bilge from water heater cold water inlet

Post by Chips Ahoy! »

It's not likely that the hose has burst...usually seems to happen at the fittings.

Could the leak be coming from the stern shower?
I had a similar problem...incomplete freeze protection. My bad.

Just a thought.

good luck,
george
-george pringle
Chips Ahoy! #232
Staten Island (Great Kills Harbor), NY
Copacetic

Post by Copacetic »

I just recently have experienced the same thing. Mine is a very slow leak which actuates the fresh water pump. Since it's so slow, it's hard to track down. I mopped the bilge out and saw water arriving from the forward section but the fittings in the sink and shower appear good. Very vexing. Both hot and cold have been turned off going forward and it continues, which confuses my observation with the water coming from the forward area. Still troubleshooting but the raw water impeller issue is on my table right now.
Just to let you know that you're not alone. I remember during the commissioning, they screwed down the sole and nailed one of my water lines...twice. Hope it's not something similar and it's just now getting worse with the boats vibration and movement.
Scott
Scott Townsend
Copacetic #190
Oceanside CA
belladonna

Post by belladonna »

Thanx for the feedback George & Scott. This leak is very fast becasue the water pump runs constantly and you can see a steady flow of water running thru the starboard weepholes directly into the bilge AND I get no water from the hot water side of the faucets. I didn't see any water in the vicinity of the water heater so I'm thinking the leak is somewhere between the cold water manifold and the water heater. Do either of you know if it is a continuious hose between the mainfold and the water heater or are there fittings of some sort in that hose run??? I hate to have to remove the cabin sole sections to track down this leak or worse yet have to perform major demolition just to get to the hose, but as it is now, I can't take a hot shower or even get hot water to wash dishes, etc. And do you know of another source of info on the 350 other than this forum??? Thanx to all. Bella Donna # 368
Jim Lassiter
R.B.

Post by R.B. »

If you suspect the hose, why not get a garden hose, attach the correct ends to the hose, attach one end to the manifold, run the hose above the floor, and into the lazarette, down to the water tank, and attach the other end to the water tank. Pressurize the system and see if it still leaks. Try both the hot and cold sides to make sure you haven't a leak in both sides. Once you know which one it is, run a new hose using the old one as a tag line.
Ralph

WOLFHELM
C350 #342
Richard Ad

Post by Richard Ad »

Check the Whale connectors going into your hot water heater. Motoring during very rough seas my Whale connection came off of my hot water heater, pumped all the water from my forward fresh water tank into the bilge, bilge pumped that water overboard. During this event my float switch got stuck in the "ON" position and my bilge pump continued to run even when there was no water in the bilge. Because of the rough seas and motoring I didn't hear the bilge pump running until I pulled into my marina. I reconnected the Whale connection, refilled the water tank, and all was good. I had to replace the float switch to fix the bilge system and I replaced the Whale connectors with double hose clamps. Now, I always turn off my fresh water pump while motoring, sailing, or leaving the boat. Regarding the fresh water pump running intermittently when not in use; good luck. Our goes off for a fraction of a second every 2-3 hours and I'm not going to search the entire system for that minor leak. Keep a screw driver in your pocket and check the hose clamps whenever you are near a connection.
belladonna

Post by belladonna »

Well I found the culprit for the fresh water in the bilge and the leak that was isolated between the cold water manifold and the water heater. The hose is attached with a hose clamp right to the cold water supply intake on the water heater. There is no quick disconnect or any type of special fitting other than a "ringed" plastic fitting on the water heater. But do to the water heaters location it was very hard to see that hose so I know that the "hose on the fitting" was the problem. After much squirming and a few choice words, I was able to get to the hose, re-secure it and my problem was solved. Thanx to all who gave me good suggestions and input. Jim Lassiter BELLA DONNA #368 Deltaville, VA
Jim Lassiter
Copacetic

Post by Copacetic »

I finally got the time to remove the shelf attached to the top of the hot water heater. Sure enough, the right angle hot water return fitting was cracked, causing a slow and steady leak. Once I touched it, it really let loose. A trip to Lowes later and everything is fixed.
Scott Townsend
Copacetic #190
Oceanside CA