Bilge Pump Runs

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's plumbing here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

JohnForr

Bilge Pump Runs

Post by JohnForr »

Hi. I am sure this is a familiar post. I tried an auto search for bilge pump and the site would not allow me to do that. Our bilge pump runs non stop and water is not pumping out. The pump comes on and spins but no output. The float switch works. It is a Jabsco 1950 model and our boat is a 2003 hull #007. It looks like the original.
How fair from the pump is the electrical connection?
Is it more likely to be the check valve or ump?
Can the pump spin and gurgle and splash and not suck and pump water out?
It has a check valve mounted about six inches above it.
We have owned the boat for one year and you all have been very helpful.
The boat is kept in the water. We cleaned the bilge and that did not help.

Has anyone mounted a secondary bilge pump and where. We like to travel twice a year by Rv for 6 weeks and visit our five boys and grandkids.
John & Mary Jane Forr
Punta Gorda, Fl
Hull #007
AynB

Re: Bilge Pump Runs

Post by AynB »

Answering in a different order:
Yes, the pump can spin and not pump water if:
a) there is insufficient depth of water in the bilge to allow the pump to "self-prime"
b) there is too much resistance to flow, e.g. check valve is stuck/blocked/gunked up.
These bilge pumps are not positive pressure pumps like a piston pump would be. The pumps work with a spinning vane 'throwing' water at an opening. If there is an impediment to flow, the thrown water just gurgles around.
Yes, check valves can stick and can go bad. But you gotta have them in our boats.
The connection to the wires that run to the panel should be within a foot or so of the pump - at least it is on our boat.

Here's what I'd suggest you try.
Grab your hose and fill the bilge until the pump body is completely submerged. Then arm the pump and watch what happens. If the pump spins and nothing leaves the bilge, then it's time to check the check valve and discharge line.
If the pump works, then the problem is that there was insufficient water to prime the pump in the first place. Our bilge is considered "dry" when there's less than a 1/4" of water.
You say that the float switch works. I am interpreting that to mean that when you push down on the float the pump shuts off and when you pull up, it kicks in. But you also say, "Our bilge pump runs non stop and water is not pumping out." This suggests that the float switch is just high enough to kick in, but the pump is not getting enough water to prime. Play around with this and see what you can figure out.
Lastly, while you have a goodly amount of water in the bilge - test the manual pump from the cockpit.
Al
lazy dog

Post by lazy dog »

We had the same problem on hull 123. It was a stuck check valve about 6 inches above the pump. I cleaned but didn't trust it so I went to westmarine to get a new one. The westmarine guy had one but recommended that I not buy it. In his view they will always leak and are prone to getting stuck. If they stick they could be a safety hazard. I took his advice and removed it. The downside is that after using the bilge pump the water that is in the hose will drain back in the bilge. But even with the valve that was gradually draining back anyway. Without the valve it comes in all at once and we can take it out with a sponge.
JohnForr

Post by JohnForr »

Al,
Thanks for the response.
We followed your instructions. After checking that the pump was moving we removed the hoses And I had my wife take the handle end of the screw driver and whack the brass check valve.
Several chunks of what look like sea shells fell out. Probably from our last trip to Pelican Bay. The pump then worked intermittently. Meaning it ran but did not always pump water. So we really flushed the bilge out with fresh water and cleaned a bunch of brown scum out from in and around the float switch. It appears the float switch was sticking right before dropping to shut off. Now that it has been cleaned it all works. So, I ended up having two problems.
I did find the electric line, however, I never saw a electric connection like that one. It is obviously water proof and I was going to put in a new pump, but not until I figure out how to do a waterproof electric connection like that. Now that things are working fine we are just going to check on the pump daily. And buy a backup bilge pump. I am also worried about getting the basket loose from the floor. Mine has 4 screws holding it down.
Thank you
John & Mary Jane Forr
Punta Gorda, Fl
Hull #007
KevinMc

Post by KevinMc »

I had the same issue of the bilge pump running and not pumping out the bilge. I discovered the brass check value was stuck so I replaced the check value and still had the same issue - the pump wasn't clearing the bilge. I thought the issue was the pump but it pump fine. I then checked the on-line manual for the Jabsco pump and it specifically states to NOT install a check valve. http://jabscotech.com/technical-documents/

I'm guessing the Jabsco pump doesn't produce sufficient pressure to overcome the height difference between the bilge and the pump out, the long run of hose (must be at least 20 feet the way the boat is made) and the check value. Once I removed the check value it worked fine.

I agree with the post of you getting some back wash once the pump shuts down. It's a few cups of water so I use a hand pump and some towels to get the bilge as dry as I can.
Kevin
NavSta Norfolk Marina
JohnForr

Post by JohnForr »

Thanks Kevin and Lazy Dog. When we get back from our RV trip I am going to look at removing that check valve. I also need to find a good hand pump. I have one that goes on end of drill but it is erratic unless I hold it perfectly steady.
John & Mary Jane Forr
Punta Gorda, Fl
Hull #007
Interlude35

Post by Interlude35 »

I think the problem may be that your pump becomes air bound. The check valve,which is close to the pump discharge, does not allow air to escape from the pump even though the bilge water level is increasing. This air lock blocks water from entering the pump. The solution is put a vent hole in the discharge of the pump.

I first tested our automatic bilge pumping system starting with a dry bilge. Filling the bilge with fresh water the pump started automatically and continued to run but failed to pump any water even when the water level was over the top of the pump(JABSCO 1950). I ran this test two times with the same result. Next, I ran a two tests with water in the bilge at the float low pump cut off level and the pump primed. The bilge pumping system worked perfectly. Not wanting to leave water in the bilge for to have an operable bilge pumping system I drilled a small hole in the bottom of the check valve body. When the bilge water level is increasing this hole allows air to vent out of the pump discharge and the bilge water to enter the pump volute. This primes the pump. I ran two tests with an essentially dry bilge and the the pumping system operated perfectly.
I will repeat this test (starting with a dry bilge) after the system has been idle for at least a week.
John & Marilyn
Interlude #316