Leaking hatch over V birth

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's interior here. Are you beginning to see a pattern?

Moderator: KenKrawford

Zowie

Leaking hatch over V birth

Post by Zowie »

Our front hatch over the v-birth has been leaking during rain storms and over the winter. Has anyone repaired the hatch or the gaskets to fix this problem?
Thanks
John Zawilinski
"Outstanding"
2008 Catalina 350MKII
Portsmouth RI
jonnjones

Re: Leaking hatch over V birth

Post by jonnjones »

First thing to check are the screws that attach the hatch to the hinge mechanism. If those are loose, then water can work through the gasket there. It possible that it is time to remove the hatch entirely and re-bed/re-caulk, but I'd make sure the leak is not coming from something simple first.

BTW, it is "V-berth." Your spelling reminds me of when when my kids were younger. They called the forward cabin the "V-berth" and the aft cabin the "after-berth."
Jon and Lori Jones
S/V Wind Orchid
Annapolis
Hull #273
Triumph

Post by Triumph »

Going from memory here, not at the boat .... Check the stainless rivets that are in the hinge mechanism of the hatch. These turned out to be the culprit for a small, hard to find leak that developed on my front hatch. I think you can only see these if the hatch is open. I put in new rivets and caulk it and stopped the leak. I'll be at the boat tomorrow and I'll look at it again in case I need to better explain.

Bill on TRIUMPH
R.B.

Post by R.B. »

I have also chased a leak down on the front hatch. I have removed and resealed it twice. I think the culprit is, as others have pointed out, the area by the hinges. I ended up caulking the outside of these areas, and it has reduced the problem. I only have water dripping occasionally in the spring. Nothing so far during the summer, through rain, water over the bow or through pressure washing with a hose.
Ralph

WOLFHELM
C350 #342