Mystery leak aft cabin

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's interior here. Are you beginning to see a pattern?

Moderator: KenKrawford

tranquil

Mystery leak aft cabin

Post by tranquil »

I've owned this 350 3.5 years and late last fall discovered mold and water marks on the two "teak" walls at the foot of the stern bed where they join in the corner that is on the "bow" end of the berth (as opposed to the "stern" end of the berth). It is enough to wet and mold the mattress cover on the bed. As of this week they have grown much larger and very wet.

The stern berth wall that runs with the width of the boat ajoins the top of the engine compartment in that corner. When I removed the cover and inspected there are no water marks or mold anywhere.

The stern berth wall that runs with the length of the boat ajoins the kitchen/refridgerator in that corner and is also the "top" of the bottom of the cockpit floor. Cant find any cracks in the cockpit or leaks. Water in the cockpit drains the opposite direction to the stern and out the drain holes.

From inside the refridgerator I cannot tell if the outer wall of the fridge ajoins the wall in the stern berth in the corner where it is leaking, but if not is very close. I cannot think of anything else in that area that could leak. I've not made the fridge insulation changes - attempted to but found it already caulked and no gaps. I did add additional rubber gaskets around the doors in the counter to eliminate condensation. I get condensation/mold on the inside wall of the oven, which adjoins the freezer. Also, in the kitchen, get condensation running down the wall of the freezer to the floor.

So is one issue that I need to attach insulation to the walls, floor and "ceiling of the freezer and fridge to get rid of the condensation? Boy that is a really poor design. Will a spray insulation work that is not toxic if there is such a thing?

Could the stern bedroom water/mold issue be from the refridgerator condensation or could it be another issue? Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Teri
Teri Weber
Tranquil
Hull #187
Chicago
Tranquilcat42@yahoo.com
randj

Re: Mystery leak aft cabin

Post by randj »

The problem might be condensation. We purchased a product called Ventair to help protect the mattresses. Defender sells something similar--HyperVent. It is 39 inches wide and is sold by the yard. We pieced together pieces to completely cover the area under our mattresses. During the cooler months (We are in Charleston, SC.), we place 5-in wide pieces along the sides that butt up against the sides of the boat.

Richard & Jan Massey
tranquilcat42

Re: Mystery leak aft cabin

Post by tranquilcat42 »

Thank you! Good for many places on a boat