Salon Table into Double Berth

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's interior here. Are you beginning to see a pattern?

Moderator: KenKrawford

Gravitystorm

Salon Table into Double Berth

Post by Gravitystorm »

I am considering purchasing a 2004 C350, the current owner doesn't seem to know much about how to convert the salon table into a double berth? I know it can be done but it looks like you need to have some sort of "bench" at the forward end as well as some smaller "Posts" to hold the table in the down position and of course a cushion for the table? Current owner says he didn't get any of that equipment? Is this something I can purchase from Catalina? Are there any other sources?
PHerzfeld

Re: Salon Table into Double Berth

Post by PHerzfeld »

I had a similar situation when I bought my c350. I contacted Warren Pandy at Catalina (in Florida) and was able to buy the parts I needed. Took about two months and a few follow up calls to get everything.
Phil
Paramethia
Hull #55
wcconway

Post by wcconway »

fyi - warren@catalinayachts.com

We have the short legs and cushion but have never used it. It did come with the boat when we bought it new in 2008 and was not considered an "add on" feature.
Wally & Coco Conway
, #467
Pensacola, Florida
TBOT422

Post by TBOT422 »

What is the exact length of the "short" legs? I could buy them from Catalina, but they are just standard marine extrusions, and I can buy them from a local marine salvage yard, and cut them to length for a lot less money.

I assume they then go under the standard large salon table, and I need to make some sort of filler support between the table and the wall instead of the "folding bench".

Thanks
Gary (Hull #422)
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)
elk

Post by elk »

I recently purchased the short legs, but there is more needed for the conversion. What goes at the forward end, and where do the cushions come from?

Please look at the pictures and help me puzzle it out.

Thanks,
Attachments
IMAG0454.jpg
IMAG0454.jpg (176.7 KiB) Viewed 10519 times
IMAG0453.jpg
IMAG0453.jpg (161.34 KiB) Viewed 10519 times
Ed Kruzel
S/V Emily
Hull #399, 2006 C350
Cataumet, MA
BillBerner

Post by BillBerner »

Along with the short legs you need to get the fold away bench & the cushion for the table top.
The bench does double duty as a seat for the on board side of the large table top.

Bb
Bill Berner
#66, Stamford CT.
TBOT422

Post by TBOT422 »

I wound up building a "bench" to fill to forward section out of PVC pipe and some plywood. I also built my own short legs out of PVC, but it took some work to get them tapered properly. I see no need for additional seating if the crew only consists of the Admiral and I. As to cushions, we found that the cushions for the cockpit were adequate for lounging while watching TV. We wouldn't want to sleep on them, but I suppose we could if we wanted to.
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)
elk

Post by elk »

BillBerner wrote:Along with the short legs you need to get the fold away bench & the cushion for the table top.
The bench does double duty as a seat for the on board side of the large table top.

Bb
Does anyone have pictures they can share of what it looks like as a berth. I would love to see it and gauge the worth of spending $750 for the conversion kit.

You can email me the pix directly, if you wish.

Thanks,
Ed Kruzel
S/V Emily
Hull #399, 2006 C350
Cataumet, MA
wcconway

Post by wcconway »

There is a large folding cushion the exact size of the table and somewhat thicker than the settee cushion. It is light, but bulky to store on the boat (if we have to take it, we usually stow it on the ledge above the headboard in the aft cabin).

We have two grandchildren and they slept on the salon conversion bed for two weeks without using the bench (The bench is not very stable and is just in the way, so we usually leave it at home.) We also placed a cooler between the table and bulkhead and "cushioned" it with a couple of pillows under the fitted sheet. It worked fine.

We will measure the length of the short legs while we are on the boat this weekend.
Attachments
20120531_7194.JPG
20120531_7194.JPG (24.31 KiB) Viewed 10441 times
20120531_7192.JPG
20120531_7192.JPG (19.59 KiB) Viewed 10441 times
Wally & Coco Conway
, #467
Pensacola, Florida
wcconway

Post by wcconway »

The short legs are 30 cm long.
Wally & Coco Conway
, #467
Pensacola, Florida
nybor

Post by nybor »

hi all. I have been reading about the two tables that come with the boat. One too small and one too big. I agree and as Goldie Locks would say, "this one is just about right", i had one made out of cast acylic. It looks great, very very sturdy, has fiddles around the edges as well. FYI, it cost $298 to make, but the guy said he could come down if more were ordered?
see photos (albeit poor)
cat 350 table1 small.jpg
cat 350 table1 small.jpg (34.93 KiB) Viewed 10132 times
cat350 table 2 small.jpg
cat350 table 2 small.jpg (58.01 KiB) Viewed 10132 times