Interior Teak Repair

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's interior here. Are you beginning to see a pattern?

Moderator: KenKrawford

dvolkman

Interior Teak Repair

Post by dvolkman »

I recently bought a 350Mk I in which the previous owner hung various paintings with Velcro. Upon trying to remove the paintings, I found the veneers had faded or darkened leaving outlines of the old artwork. In addition, while carefully trying to get the velcro off, it did take off some of the finish. Of course, I love the new boat and want to restore it to it's former glory. Does anyone know how to get the rest of the glue or velcro off without destroying the finish? Is there a way to get the darken spots to look like new again? Would it best to hire a furniture repairman?

Thanks,

Dave V.
nybor

Re: Interior Teak Repair

Post by nybor »

Hi. Lets see, you posted your question in 2009 and it is now 2016 and I am the only one that is responding!
I am sure you have figured it out.
But just in case, there is a product for removing adhesives, etc. that will not damage surfaces. If you need to know the name, I will look it up. It is used on airplanes to remove old decals and is incredible. I used it on my boat as well and it didn't hurt the fiberglass, paint, varnish, etc.

On a similar topic, the sun has faded some of my teak. I tried to "restore" the finish with Pledge Oil Restorer (or some name like that). Unfortunately, where it got under the varnish surface (or urethane), it left streaks (dark) versus the faded other parts.

I want to sand them down, but what would be the recommended finish coat to apply? Any suggestions by others would be appreciated.

thanks

dave (NYBOR)
leigh weiss

Post by leigh weiss »

Dave,
You can mechanically or chemically remove the old finish then:
I have used a water based "polycrilic" helmsman coating I found at the Home Depot or the SW paint store. I used a 6" foam floor applicator for the table and the bulkheads, and 1"/2" foam brushes, spreading many light coats.
I used this to refinish the main salon table and the bulkheads and railings. I used a light wet sanding (600 grit) between coats and gave the table an extra power polishing with 3M Finessit II when it had dried several days. It dries quickly and can be retouched. Lots of luck with your refinishing job

Leigh
Leigh and Donna Weiss
Brisa #155
Georgetown, MD. USA
nybor

Post by nybor »

As usual, Leigh comes thru!
Thanks

dave