Wal mounting a flat screen TV

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's interior here. Are you beginning to see a pattern?

Moderator: KenKrawford

hsundown

Wal mounting a flat screen TV

Post by hsundown »

We recently received a 23" flat screen tv as a gift, and would like to mount in near the nav station. One possible site is the bulkhead between the salon & the aft cabin, but we are unsure if the wall will support the weight of 16 plus lbs. Is there material in that bulkhead that would support the TV & mounting hardware?
Armin

Post by Armin »

The thickness of the bulkhead between the salon and aft state room is about 5/8 inch. The location you are thinking of works well for a 15 inch flat screen TV, so I would think it will also work for a 23 inch unit. My TV is attached to a wall mount which is adjustable in the horizontal plane by about 30 degrees. It is not vertically adjustable. With the increased weight of the 23 inch unit, I would suggest that you mount a support, i.e., a small shelf directly below the TV with straps to hold it against the wall when it is not in use and under way. I would also suggest that you drill through the bulkhead and use machine screws with washers and acorn nuts to hold the wall mount rather than wood screws.
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

I mounted our TV on the side of the nav station on a pivoting arm. It can be pulled out, turned left, right, up or down. This allows viewing of the TV from almost any angle. The side of the cabinet where I mounted the base of the articulating arm is 3/4" thick and the mount is thru-bolted . The TV is 20" and weighs approx. 16 lbs.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
hsundown

Mounting a Flat Screen

Post by hsundown »

Great suggestions... thanks for the help!
rrdimattia

Flat Screen TV and Mount

Post by rrdimattia »

I would like to mount as large a TV as possible on the forward salon bulkhead through-bolted to the head side of the bulkhead. Then a mast mounted antenna and DVD either in the TV or preferrably seperately mounted in the Nav stqtion. Has anyone done this? and any suggestions re Max weight.
Any and all thoughts suggestions and experiences will be greatly appreciated.
Ralph DiMattia
Eginda II
Ralph R. DiMattia
2005 Catalina 350
"EGINDA II"
York River Yacht Haven
Sarah's Creek
Gloucester Point, VA
Frank Heyniger

Post by Frank Heyniger »

I had a TV mounted on the forward bulkhead when I purchased my previously owned 350. It has very hard to watch the TV when sitting in the saloon, especially when siting on the starboard side and the port side was very uncomfortable because you had to sit with your back against the nav station.