Headliner discolration

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's interior here. Are you beginning to see a pattern?

Moderator: KenKrawford

Cmp1110

Headliner discolration

Post by Cmp1110 »

Good afternoon we are under contract on a 05 350 and I have noticed some discolration (yellowing) of the headliner in a few spots mainly around interior salon lights. Does anyone have experience with these marks I will attempt to upload a photo thanks in advance.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (42.49 KiB) Viewed 5274 times
Tim OSullivan

Re: Headliner discolration

Post by Tim OSullivan »

Hi, I am the original owner of a 2005 and the discoloration started after about two years. Catalina never responded to my questions to resolve the problem so I have been cleaning the areas with acetone which works well but do occasionally come back. If you notice most areas are also sticky. I assume that the resins in the coach roof were not properly blended during manufacture and by using the acetone the resins will eventually cure and the discoloration will not recur.
Timothy J O"Sullivan
Seaquel
hull # 322
Cmp1110

Post by Cmp1110 »

Great that is what I hoped we had another boat that had a similar situation!
Thanks
Capt. Nini

Post by Capt. Nini »

I have found that Mr. Clean MajicErasers and lots of rubbing will take off the discoloration without the bad effects of acetone. Wipe well with a wet rag and follow with wet rag often.

I will report later as to the long term effectiveness.
Capt. Nini

Post by Capt. Nini »

After 4 months since using Mr. Clean erasers to rid head liner of brown spots, I can report that the stains have NOT returned.