Lewmar Opening Portlight Seal

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's interior here. Are you beginning to see a pattern?

Moderator: KenKrawford

KenKrawford

Lewmar Opening Portlight Seal

Post by KenKrawford »

One of my opening port seals is hanging by a thread. Are these secured with just a friction fit or is there some type of adhesive used?
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
J.Sarge

Re: Lewmar Opening Portlight Seal

Post by J.Sarge »

I believe they are supposed to be installed with silicone or other similar sealant applied to the inside of the port light opening. 2 of mine started leaking this weekend. the leaks look to be coming from the seam where the ends of the gasket should be glued together. whoever installed these 2 installed the seam at the bottom of the port light....right where the water sits in the little trough between the glass and the gasket. I started pulling one apart in the hopes of just rotating the seam to the top and using silicone as a temporary solution until I could order a new gasket kit...
Jason
s/v Serenity
Hull #418
Richmond, VA
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Thanks for the info Jason. I appreciate it.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
Pgtjs

Post by Pgtjs »

Hi All,

Has anyone replaced the "rubber"seal around a port light? One of mine is leaking despite having resealed it to the frame with a silicone product some time ago. I think it and others have decayed due to salt water splashing onto them over the years. Where did you get the rubber seal? I looked on the Lewmar website and could not match the dimensions to the current products - the inside dimension is 14.5 x 5.5 inches. I sent them an email with no response to date.

I also noted that the joint located at the bottom has split and is not continuous. As one other contributor noted I think the join should be at the top of the frame and not at the bottom. Any comments?

Thanks in anticipation,

Geoff. - Taeko 1V, #392, Semiahmoo WA.
Geoff.S., Semiahmoo, WA.
Mark Sutherland

Post by Mark Sutherland »

I believe I bought mine at Catalina direct. I agree that the split should be at the top. Less likely to leak. I really struggled to put my new seal in, and temporarily gave up from exhaustion. After reflecting on my effort, I believe I was not putting it correctly as I think I was reading the install drawing incorrectly. I recall that having one or more "dull" tools can help with pressing the tongue into the groove. Use your judgment; you obviously don't want to cut the seal with your installation tool. I think I dulled one of my screw drivers with a grinder or file to round off all the edges. I'll try to tackle this again as we enter the rainy season. Please post some follow ups so we can learn from efforts. :D
Mark Sutherland,
Dunrobin III
Hull #388 (2006)
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

Just want to tag along on this old post.

My opening ports are OK, but I am considering replacing the lens on the forward hatch. Since the boat is 3 hours away wondering if anyone knows if this one is a trapezoidal hatch. I believe the other hatches are all the square, low profile type and its only the forward hatch that is the higher profile type, but is it trapezoidal?

Catalina direct shows the trapezoidal hatch is on the C350, but they have been wrong before.

Also if anyone has tackled this job, any comments regarding the replacement are very welcome.

Thanks
Kirk & Leah McCullough
#031 -Full Batten Main, Rocna 20
Sand Dollar
Point Roberts, WA
pdenoncourt

Post by pdenoncourt »

Hi Kirk,
I replaced the lens on the forward hatch in 2013, that is, I sent it out to Select Plastics ( https://selectplastics.com/mrine-hatch-repair/ ) to be replaced. The forward hatch is indeed trapezoidal.

I sent the original hatch cover with crazed lens to Select Plastics, and after 3 weeks received back the same frame with brand new lens. Removal and replacement of the hatch cover was a bit difficult, as the hinge had to be disassembled to remover the cover, and then reassembled when the repaired cover was returned. I had to improvise something to cover the opening in the meantime so that rain would not enter the boat onto the V-berth. I ended up covering the opening with a stout piece of corregated cardboard, cut to size, and then taping a hefty garbage bag over that.

This hatch is still in good shape today.

Good luck,

Peter Denoncourt
Kite, #72
russp

Post by russp »

The forward hatch is absolutely the trapezoidal one, thought I had the original code but can't find it. If you get a new one, worth buying one of attached, hatch will then outlast you by a long way.

Regards
Russ
Attachments
cover.jpg
cover.jpg (98.33 KiB) Viewed 2681 times
Russ Peel
Avalon #150
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

Thanks Russ

Did you do the lens replacement? If so how did it go for you. The cover is a great idea.
Kirk & Leah McCullough
Sand Dollar
Point Roberts, WA
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

Peter

Thanks for the input. I was thinking to try the replacement myself, the lens and seals etc are available on Calalina Direct. But might be better to send it away as you did.

Thanks again.
Kirk & Leah McCullough
Sand Dollar
Point Roberts, WA
russp

Post by russp »

My lens was just slightly crazed and not too damaged so I polished it up to "reasonable" and put this cover on, is is holding up well so I haven't considered replacing either the whole hatch or just the lens.

Russ
Russ Peel
Avalon #150
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

Russ

Curious to know what you used to polish it. My forward hatch is, to my eye, fully crazed but maybe polishing would help.
Kirk & Leah McCullough
Sand Dollar
Point Roberts, WA
russp

Post by russp »

Just a plastic polish, very fine abrasive, and a gentle cutting pad on a buffer. And a LOT of buffing. Just kept going and going and it got smoother and smoother, but you can't get all the crazing out as it goes quite deep. You have to decide what is good enough for you.

Russ
Russ Peel
Avalon #150