Above the waterline, thru hull UV damage

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's hull, prop or rudder here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Dave DeSalvo

Above the waterline, thru hull UV damage

Post by Dave DeSalvo »

Hello everyone,
Recently I had Ventosa #383 surveyed so that I could get a refi on my loan. The surveyor mentioned that my exterior, above the water line, thru hulls were flaking due to UV damage. Said they should have been painted initially with some kind of UV resistant paint and that they probably need to be replaced. Has anyone had any experience with this issue? If so any idea of what they might cost to replace? thanks for any input.

Dave
S/V Ventosa #383
leigh weiss

Re: Above the waterline, thru hull UV damage

Post by leigh weiss »

Dave,
I replaced both the AC discharge thru hull fittings with SS units. They suffered complete failure!!!
The new SS units had to be modified by removing the hose barb (cut with saw) and chasing the threads to 3/4" NPT with a pipe die.
They cost about $20 each. Found at any marine discount store.

You have to be bit nimble and small to fit into the locker and reach the inside fittings.
Have fun.

Leigh Weiss Brisa #155
Leigh and Donna Weiss
Brisa #155
Georgetown, MD. USA
Dave DeSalvo

Post by Dave DeSalvo »

Thank you, Leigh. Sounds like a "fun" project!
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

We replaced all our above-waterline thru-hulls as well. Did that two years ago when it was out for a bottom job.

They DO get UV damaged and need to be replaced as they become damaged and brittle if not bronze or SS.

Brett
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL