Material in bilge hull spaces

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's hull, prop or rudder here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

D&M

Material in bilge hull spaces

Post by D&M »

Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone else has a loose fluffy material floating around in their hull compartments (bow and stern). Which sometimes get moved into the bilge area. I can pick it up with my fingers but it dissolves instantly when placed in a bucket of water. I have seen it in the stern compartment as well as in the area where the fwd transducers are. Any clues on what it is and where it is coming from?
IMG_4123.jpg
IMG_4123.jpg (69.56 KiB) Viewed 968 times
IMG_4121.jpg
IMG_4121.jpg (68.82 KiB) Viewed 968 times
Regards,

David
Sea Lanes #281
Cairns, Australi
a
russp

Re: Material in bilge hull spaces

Post by russp »

Hi David,

I have a feeling there is a bit in Avalon (hull 150) but I have never paid attention to it as assumed it was just a bit of fibreglass fluff left from manufacturing. Obviously not if it dissolves, so no idea sorry, salt crystals would be the only other likely reason if your boat is very dry internally??

Russ
Russ Peel
Avalon #150
D&M

Re: Material in bilge hull spaces

Post by D&M »

Thanks Russ,
The boat is very dry except for a now fixed leak at the anchor winch and a very slow drip from the anchor well drain. I was concerned about the material but like you think it was something to do with the manufacturing process.
Regards,

David
Sea Lanes #281
Cairns, Australi
a