Hull Deck Joint Leaking

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's hull, prop or rudder here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

D&M

Hull Deck Joint Leaking

Post by D&M »

After a week of sailing in 20-25 knot winds and 2 meter seas, I have noted some water leaks in the forward cabin port side on the white liner that sits above the shallow shelf which runs both sides of the cabin. I am not sure where the water is coming from but after pounding into some seas I am assuming it might be from the hull deck joint. I know there is also a leak from the forestay tang into the bilge and I have so far discounted this water somehow running into the cabin from deck fittings up forward.

Does anyone have any similar stories on a leak like this and how it was investigated (solved) :D

Alternately has anyone removed and resealed the caulking underneath the rubrail?
Regards,

David
Sea Lanes #281
Cairns, Australi
a
Richard Ad

Re: Hull Deck Joint Leaking

Post by Richard Ad »

Hello D&M: I had water leaking into my forward cabin and collecting all the way forward in the ledge above the bed. The leak was coming from the electric anchor winch. It had a broken seal. Very easy to replace. The seal was only a couple US dollars. A sister ship about the same age had the same issue and the same solution. Could this be where your leak is coming from?
Kind Regards.
Richard Ad / Hull #329 s/v Integrity
johnthejetpilot

Post by johnthejetpilot »

I echo the response about leak coming in thru the windlass area.. Removed windlass and performed required maintenance (ordered seal kit from catalinadirect.com, I think. No more leaking. 2hours tops and $30 US for kit to replace seals and add lubricant.
Ave Maria
Hull 212
Kenosha, WI
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

David, I believe the leaking seal mentioned in the other posts is the one pictured below. I don't know if you can buy just that seal or if you have to buy the entire rebuild kit.
Attachments
seal.jpg
seal.jpg (52.87 KiB) Viewed 1158 times
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
D&M

Post by D&M »

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have recently put a temporary o ring in place of the seal above as I had to source the part from the States and it is on its way via myus. I did that because I had a water leak from the anchor winch but it appeared to show it self only at the very front of the cabin in the veneer timber on the fwd bulkhead by way of water staining.
As soon as the new seal arrives will swap it out and monitor the outcome.
Regards,

David
Sea Lanes #281
Cairns, Australi
a