Rub Rail Replacement,

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's hull, prop or rudder here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

mthomasharvey

Rub Rail Replacement,

Post by mthomasharvey »

Request recommendations for replacing deeply gauged aluminum rub rails. Approximately 10' aft end of both port and starboard rails were damaged by bimini stainless tubing that came loose during wind storm. Catalina Direct has shipped replacement rails PN Z1107.

Thanks to All,
mthomasharvey@aol.com
2003 Catalina 350 Hull #43
KenKrawford

Re: Rub Rail Replacement,

Post by KenKrawford »

Since no one has responded, I'll take a shot at this.
First of all, working with the vinyl insert is much easier if it's warm. You didn't mention if you're replacing the insert as well as the aluminum channel but obviously the insert must be removed first. I'd use an oscillating saw with a metal blade to cut out the old channel. If you don't have the saw and don't see much of a need for one in the future you can get a cheap one at Harbor Freight for $20 - https://www.harborfreight.com/oscillati ... 62866.html
You want to cut the old aluminum channel close to where one of the bolts goes through the channel and hull. Repeat the procedure at the other end and cut the new channel to fill the space. I'm not positive but I believe the bolts that secure the channel are through bolted and also serve to form the hull to deck joint so you need to access the nuts on the inside of the hull.
Good luck with your project.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA