Turning circles CCW when I let go of wheel

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's hull, prop or rudder here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

MarkElliott

Turning circles CCW when I let go of wheel

Post by MarkElliott »

Finally got out sailing, no wind. Well we motored some. Go forward and within half a minute doing circles counter clock wise. Starts with a little creep of the helm and propagated quickly to hard to port. Hasn't happens before. Engine at a bit above idle, 1000 rpm. No swell to kick it over. Any ideas? Hand on the wheel doesn't detect any pull. Seems to handle normally otherwise.
Mark Elliott
Mintaka #71
Noank Ct.
Aussie Mate

Re: Turning circles CCW when I let go of wheel

Post by Aussie Mate »

Four years ago our boat would arbitrarily do hard turns counter clockwise when auto pilot was engaged. Never knew when it would happen. When it did happen the wheel seemed to lock and we had to take off the auto. Raymarine told us to send in the course computer. They found a connection issue, fixed it and returned it. No problem since. But I notice you said nothing about the auto so this may be not help you.
Bruce Whyte
s/v Aussie Mate
C350 #357
MarkElliott

Post by MarkElliott »

Not while on auto pilot. Have wheel balanced going straight, hands off wheel. Calm seas no wind.
Mark Elliott
Mintaka #71
Noank Ct.
MorningStar

Post by MorningStar »

I have hull #35 and it has done this since new. I think the prop wash past the rudder starts the process and the more the boat start to turn, the faster it turns to full rudder stop. I learned not to take my hands off the wheel when motoring. It does not do it with autopilot for obvious reasons.
Barry Dupuy
s/v Morning Star
Kemah, TX