Anchor Locker Cover Repairs - Reddish Discharge from Crack

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's hull, prop or rudder here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Chuck_on_Hudson

Anchor Locker Cover Repairs - Reddish Discharge from Crack

Post by Chuck_on_Hudson »

For some time I have had an axial crack on the underside edge, port side, of the anchor locker cover - this is the edge where the cover itself sits on and is supported by the inner edge of the well. The crack goes from fore to aft and is about 6-8 inches long and about 1/16" or more wide. A thin "potato-chip" layer of glass is pulled away from the crack too, along the entire length. On the supporting edge of the well, there is always a black and reddish stain/deposit which I can wash off with water and scrubbing. It looks like water is wicking up vertically through the crack into the locker cover and then something is dissolving out and depositing on the edge of the anchor well.

I have stuck a sharp awl into the crack expecting to find a spongy water logged interior, but the awl does not penetrate and it seems solid.

Does anyone know what the construction is for the anchor locker cover? Is it glass over wood? With the radial curve of the locker cover it seems like it would not be a glass-wood sandwich because you cannot bend wood into that much of a curve, and instead would be solid glass or some other construction.

I plan to grind out the crack, clean out any rotted material (if I find any), and epoxy it. Since it is on the inside of the locker there is no need to make it pretty.

Lastly, on top front of the locker cover, near the middle where the chain goes in, I have a another crack that is much wider than a typical deck-side spider-type crack, and a visible gap is present in this crack. If the locker cover is solid glass, maybe this crack is not that big of a deal other than appearance. If the top crack is going to cause water penetration issues then I have to fix it. I was thinking for this that I would also fill it with epoxy since the crack is wide, and then paint over the entire locker cover top with a light grey. Since the locker cover is already distinguished well from the rest of the anti-skid on the deck, I do not think I will obsess over trying to match colors - I am ok if the entire locker cover is a different shade

Anybody out there already tackled these projects?

Thanks,

Charlie
KenKrawford

Re: Anchor Locker Cover Repairs - Reddish Discharge from Crack

Post by KenKrawford »

Charlie I haven't had to do any repairs to the locker but would be willing to be that it's just fiberglass and epoxy. A quick call to Warren Pandy at the Catalina factory would clarify the matter for sure.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
Chuck_on_Hudson

Re: Anchor Locker Cover Repairs - Reddish Discharge from Crack

Post by Chuck_on_Hudson »

Just to answer my own post for the benefit of other members...

The anchor locker cover is a fiberglass and balsa wood sandwich, even in the "tunnel" area where there is a sharp radius. Using a hole saw, I drilled a 1.5" hole in the underside of the locker to remove the inner "skin' and access the interior of the sandwich in the tunnel area. I then reamed out rotten and water-logged wood. On the very front edge of the locker, I repaired the broken end with glass mat and epoxy. After that cured I stood the locker up with its front-end down, and filled much of the front edge hollow volume with pure epoxy resin.

I refinished the top of the locker with epoxy-based Interprotect 2000e tinted grey to match the other non-skid areas.

The locker cover is now stronger and better made than the original one.