Leak on port side seems to come from where deck liner meets

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's hull, prop or rudder here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

william vanwagoner

Leak on port side seems to come from where deck liner meets

Post by william vanwagoner »

I am finding moistureon the port side from the head compartment to about halfway through the cabin. Upon removing things the moisture seems to be coming in where the deckliner separates from the deck forming recesses for wiring etc. The stanchion bases and holding tank waste deck fitting all seem fine, and water is well above the hull deck joint, in fact the underside of the deck is damp all along this area. I am wondering if the forward hatch or hatch in the head is possibly leaking (no obvious signs or dampness that can be seen) at the joint with the deck and then running between the solid part of the deck and small voids in the headliner. I don't think this water is coming from the windlass or anchor roller as those areas are dry. Anyone else have water mysteriously show up like this and if so did you find the source?
Bill VanWagoner
Destiny #229
russp

Re: Leak on port side seems to come from where deck liner me

Post by russp »

Hi Bill,

I haven't had leaks as far forward as yours, but thought I would let you know how small a leak can bring in plenty of water. I have a hardtop dodger which is fixed through the cabin top and although it seemed dry when I checked it, eventually found that water was coming in through one deckplate, dripped onto the cabin liner, down onto the side shelves, into the chart table, "into" the TV, etc, pretty much everywhere I didn't want water. Rather than unbolt and reseal whole dodger I used Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure, applied about 3 days in a row to base of deckplate so that it wicked in under and bingo, no leaks for the past 2 years. You might try this on your staunchions and other deck fittings and see if it goes away.

Regards
Russ
Russ Peel
Avalon #150