Question about rudder play

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's hull, prop or rudder here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

russp

Question about rudder play

Post by russp »

Hi All,

My drivetrain and rudder are currently out while replacing cutlass bearing, PSS boot and damper plate. The yard has found 23 thou play in top rudder bearing, and 26 thou in lower bearing and are uncertain how "bad" this is since the replacement (especially in Australia) is complicated.

I hadn't noticed any play while sailing, but usually have the auto helm on so not that hands on re the rudder.

Any thoughts gratefully received, about to email Warren Pandy and see if he has any ideas on.

Regards
Russ Peel
#Avalon
Russ Peel
Avalon #150
skimsail

Re: Question about rudder play

Post by skimsail »

I actually don't know the answer. In a general engineering norm and I was an engineer, 0.026 or something less than 1/32" play on a shaft this big in a nylon bushing is not excessive at all, especially it's submerged in water (good lubricant) and very slow moving surfaces. I will be very happy if my rudder clearance was this tight. Mine has side play about 1/8" (0.125, about 5 times of yours) that I think is good.
Shaun
russp

Post by russp »

Thanks for that Shaun, the Australian agent for Catalina says that if I have less than 1/2" movement at base of rudder then bearings are fine, and I have less than that for sure. The 23/26 thou is out-of-round measurement inside the actual bearings, side to side measurement greater than fore and aft measurement.

On basis of information received, the rudder is going back in as is.

Thanks again.

Russ
Russ Peel
Avalon #150
SeaBreeze

Post by SeaBreeze »

Russ
Do you notice any noise while at anchor while enduring a boat wake on your beam? A noise that would indicate movement of the shaft.
Rick Parish
Sea Breeze
Rick Parish
Sea Breeze