Newport Mod 1600 Base attachment.

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's head here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Kachina

Newport Mod 1600 Base attachment.

Post by Kachina »

The Newport toilet on my 2yr old C350 (Hull 150) has become completely detached from it's foam mounting pad.
The three stainless studs with dome nuts secure a thin (3mm) plexiglass plate (which covers the whole underside of the base) to the bottom rim of the base. I can move the whole toilet and motor assembly off the foam pad. When I do so I can see a number of set screws in the foam pad which I presume are securing the pad to the GRP platform on which the toilet is mounted.
I cannot believe that this is true, but...it appears that the toilet base (plexiglass plate) was secured to the foam pad with some form of adhesive and that this adhesive has broken down and the bond has failed. Has anyone else had this experience and what do I do to fix it?
Hans Grasman

wobbly head

Post by Hans Grasman »

I had similar problem. The throne was a bit wobbly. Noticed the foam packing under the base.
I installed 2 L brackets from the back of the bolts on the seat cover to the wall.
The throne has held up real well for the last 2 years. I do not think I will be dethroned.
If the head fails again I will install a Raritan Head. That is the one installed in the newer C350s
Have had some real "Head aches" in the past. Even considered having a porta potty on board as a backup on trips.
Really would prefer a manual head.
Had to replace the entire lower unit plus cotter pins.
Anybody thinking about installing a manual head and give up one of the water tanks? The current holding tank will not accomodate a manual head based on the scientific formula that the stuff does not flow up hill.
Been in the red wine again.
Hans
Belcourt #165
Kachina

Wobbly Head

Post by Kachina »

Because the upper layer of plexiglass had come away clean from the layer of foam I decided to re-attach the two using a contact adhesive. I also reinforced the screw and bolt heads with larger washers as the plexiglass sheets on both sides of the foam sandwich were crazing around the holes. I will see how this stands up to what is a fairly agressive environment of cleaning materials etc etc. I agree that your two brackets would be a more reliable fix and will use that solution if the contact adhesive does not survive.

I am also thinking of replacing the whole toilet if I have much more trouble with the Newport which is very noisy on the water intake cycle. The newer units from a number of manufacturers have a seperate pump for the water intake which makes using the loo less of a community event. The problem I am finding in my research is the shape and dimensions of the base limit your options.

May your throne remain intact.

Trevor
Kachina #150
yodagwb

Talked To Catalina

Post by yodagwb »

Had the same thing which I noticed while replacing the joker valve and sheer pin. When I tried to track the plate down to get a replacement I found out it isn't from the toliet manufacturer, it is a Catalina idea. Evidently the idea worked so well they quit using it and now mount directly to the floor. If you call Catalina they will sent you the 4 screws of which only 3 can be installed with out turning it into a major replumb. Another 2006 upgrade.
Hans Grasman

Replacing Newport head with Raritan

Post by Hans Grasman »

This is the 3rd season that I have encountered problems with the Newport head and I am replacing it with a Raritan Head.
The earlier hulls had Newport factory installed, I believe hulls 220 and up have Raritan. Are there any owners who have replaced the Newport with Raritan head ? If so please share your installation procedures.
I saw a Raritan head at West Marine the manual said that it could be used both electric and manual. I believe that manual is out of the question on our boat since the tank is way above the head. But maybe they mean manual by just scooping it up by hand into the holding tank. Just a joke folks.
Thank you
Tim April IV

Manual Head Pump

Post by Tim April IV »

Hans - re: your question about using a head with a manual pump in our C350's - you were wary of using a manual pump because of the vertical lift that our plumbing/tank installation would require to move waste from the head up to the top filling tank.

The renowned "Head Mistress" (Peggie Hall - marine waste expert contributor (that sounds funny) to SailboatOwners.com and many other web forums) says that manual head pumps are more than capable of moving waste 4ft. from the bowl to the tank - including vertical lift - and that people frequently fail to continue pumping in "dry bowl" mode long enough to move the waste all the way - resulting in the dreaded "smelly hose" problem.

Much more, including quick response to questions, here:
http://www.sailboatowners.com/forums/menunew.tpl?fno=31

Good Luck!
Tim Brogan
April IV C350 #68
Seattle
Hans Grasman

manual head

Post by Hans Grasman »

Tim, thanks for the info and the link to the "head mistress". Hope the admiral does not think that I am up to no good. :-)
I was wondering if the manual operation would need a different hose size. Right now the stuff flows from a pump macerator on the head thru a 1 inch hose up to the tank. A manual head has to have a 1 1/2 inch pipe to move the material from the head to the tank. Is this posible on our C350?
Oh well I really do not know my sh that well. I am ordering the Raritan that is now being installed in the C350 hulls 220 and up.
AynB

Re: Newport Mod 1600 Base attachment.

Post by AynB »

Having hull # 17 means that we get to see alot of stuff that gets changed eventually ( eventually ).
We have the Newport 1600 ( Wilcox Crittenden sold off to Thetford, now Dometic - a real joy to get parts now )
I have a blow up diagram of the 1600 that shows an actual macerator blade as well as the four bladed "throw pump" blades to move the product.
I have a newer diagram that shows that macerator is no longer part of the package. The newer document also shows the absence of the two zincs for the system.
I am ( right after I enter this ) replacing the motor housing to bowl housing gasket as the entire system shut down last evening. ( Full of course!!! )

Long winded way of saying, anyone who's changed out the Newport for some other model, please speak up. Inquiring minds want to know.

Al
Halona #17
lazy dog

Post by lazy dog »

if you are having trouble getting parts for the Newport and are going to stick with it you might want to contact Ken in parts at Catalina in Florida. I checked in June.They didn't have a stock of the old parts but did have a number of complete Newport heads that they were heavily discounting. Looking at the list price on parts it was cheaper and a lot easier to buy the whole thing.
Lazy Dog #123
Air Mobility

Post by Air Mobility »

My original Willcox Crittenden electric head is starting to act up this spring. The motor is slow to start and I fear the motor is dying after 8 years of service. Since parts are difficult to find and expensive, a replacement unit should be the easiest route to take. It appears that the Raritan Seaera is the replacement unit used by Catalina. Has anyone replaced the WC unit with the Raritan unit? Which model did you use? Did anyone use a household size unit as a replacement? Any prarticular problems? Any words of wisdom and advice would be apprciated. I'm planning a cruise at the end of this month and want to get this job "behind me".

George
s/v Air Mobility
tranquil

Post by tranquil »

Now a member of the "unattached head" club!

What adhesive/glue/contact did you use to re-glue it back together? How long did it last/How well did it work?

Thanks
Tranquil
Teri Weber
Tranquil
Hull #187
Chicago
Tranquilcat42@yahoo.com
leigh weiss

Post by leigh weiss »

Welcome to the "Club"
Mine failed in 2011. Made new plastic and foam mount with plexiglass sheet and a foam garden kneeling pad. I used 4200 to glue the assembly together.
So far so good! This pad/mount greatly reduces the noise transmission from the head to the boat.
I used the old parts as patterns for the new replacement. I made sure the glue had set and fully cured before install/test.

Good luck
Leigh and Donna Weiss
Brisa #155
Georgetown, MD. USA
tranquil

Post by tranquil »

Thanks much for economical ideas to fix!!!!!
Teri Weber
Tranquil
Hull #187
Chicago
Tranquilcat42@yahoo.com