Replacing Newport with Sea Era

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's head here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Kneedeep

Replacing Newport with Sea Era

Post by Kneedeep »

I am looking to replace my Newport head & it appears that the Raritan Sea Era is the way to go? For those who have done this...do the intake/discharge hoses come out the back & can it be mounted with the motor on the right side like the Newport?
SeaBreeze

Re: Replacing Newport with Sea Era

Post by SeaBreeze »

Take a look at the Jabsco model 37245-1092 before you make your choice. I replaced my Newport 1600 with the Jabsco and I could not be happier. It is a regular size 'household' bowl and fits the space with no restrictions getting in the shower. Somewhat of a smart flushing action seems to reduce the amount of water needed to flush which for us reduces pump out trips.
Rick Parish
Sea Breeze
Rick Parish
Sea Breeze
MorningStar

Post by MorningStar »

Would there be any chance of getting a couple of photos in the installation of the Jabsco 37245-1092 head. I'm considering replacing the original head and looking for the best options. My email is bjdupuy@gmail.com

Thank you,
Barry Dupuy
s/v Morning Star #35
Kemah,TX
tranquil

Post by tranquil »

If you could send photos of the install I would appreciate them as well

Thanks
Tranquilcat42@yahoo.com

Teri
Teri Weber
Tranquil
Hull #187
Chicago
Tranquilcat42@yahoo.com
cuthbert

Post by cuthbert »

I am just in the process of changing the original Newport 1600 with a Sea Era with marine bowl and had a few questions to those who have the Sea Era as standard from the factory. I have bought the toilet and its sat in its box as a winter project, I just need fitting advice.

1) Could someone send me or post some pictures of the standard Sea Era setup? The reason I ask is that the two heads are in dimension almost identical but the Sea Era can have the motor behind or right or left by turning the bowl thru 90 degrees. The original Newport sat on the pedestal (which I'm sure is on all boats) such that when facing the head from the door the motor is on the RHS and the bowl closer the shower than the forward berth bulkhead. Is the Sea Era similar? It also has some options of which side of the base the bowl supply output from the motor comes from, so a picture or two would help.
2) Does the Sea Era sit on a foam/wood sandwich as the Newport did to dampen noise?
3) The push button looks fairly sturdy so did the factory mount it on a vertical surface or through the pedestal to be a foot switch as standard?
4) I'm planning on changing the hoses at the same time, any advice?
TEM58

Post by TEM58 »

I just replaced my Newport a few days ago. I went with the Marine Elegance so can’t answer your questions about the Sea Era, however I can pass on some lessons learned on the hoses. My original toilet was plumbed for 1.5” hose, while the tank fitting is 1”. So the 1.5” hose was coupled to a piece of 1” hose with a reducer. Fortunately the Marine Elegance I installed included both 1” and 1.5” fitting so I was able to run one continuous piece of 1” hose. Additionally, depending on placement of the discharge fitting on your new toilet, you may have to install an elbow in order to attach the hose. I struggled for an inordinate amount of time to get the hose on without an elbow, but it just wasn’t happening. Important thing is to avoid excessive tension on the toilet parts. Again, I’m not familiar with the Sea Era, so this may not be an issue for you. Good luck.

Tim
Tim Meredith
Perfect Match II
2003 #35
Belton, TX
Boat currently Punta Gorda, FL
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Like Tim, I also replaced my commode with a Raritan Marine Elegance model so I can't comment on the Sea Era. I did use Raritan hose for the discharge line primarily for its ability to bend without kinking. It's rather pricey but I was able to route the hose to the tank with a minimum amount of difficulty.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
hperros

Post by hperros »

Cuthbert:

I have a See Era on my boat (2005), and the pump/motor unit is attached behind the bowl, not sideways. So, it is mostly hidden. The bowl is bolted onto the fiber glass pedestal. There is nothing sandwiched in-between. The switch is on the upper-right corner of the cabinet with the sink. There are four hoses.. simply because they have installed a siphon. A hose coming off the sea water strainer to the pump, then on the other side of the pump, there is a hose that goes up to the siphon, then the return hose from the siphon to the bowl, and finally the sanitation hose. There are all one inch ID. They all go through a cut into the cabinet behind the toilet where the holding tank is.

I just replaced the sanitation hose. West Marine sells it for around 13 dollars/foot, which is cheaper than Raritan, but hopefully the same quality. It is indeed easy to install it with the help of some vaseline! However, getting the old hose out of the top of the holding tank is a different story, and requires patience and lots of love for the boat !!!! I was not able to get the heat gun up on top of the holding tank, due to lack of space. Finally, I split open the hose where it is attached to the barbed pipe going into the holding tank with a sharp knife... but it was a slow process. Maybe there is a better way. I dont know if a small-sized heat gun will fit up there.

You should also read the other comments re, not flushing well solids. It is a problem that hopefully goes away when you clean/replace the joker valve.

Email me if you need photos (hgperros@gmail.com). I plan to go to the boat mid-week and will be happy to send some to your email account.
Harry Perros
Aegean
Hull #331
Olivia Mae

Post by Olivia Mae »

I replaced ours (Wilcox Crittenden) with the Sea Era about a year ago. I got the kit without the bowl and reused the porcelain bowl from the previous head. I also got the unit that has a separate sea water pump motor. I mounted that sea water motor in the closet behind the head and wired to 2 flush buttons, so if you press the main flush button you get a wet flush. If you press both buttons, the second button interrupts power to the sea water pump and you get a dry flush. Good for conserving tank space, or for times you want to use the shower water for flushing.

The sea era fits fine as is. Get rid of the silly pedestal / spacer from the previous head. I just ran 1" waste hose all the way up to the tank. New head works great and is way quieter than the wilcox crittenden that it replaced.

Pics attached. You can see the separate sea water pump near the overboard discharge valve in the second pic.
seaera1.jpg
seaera1.jpg (82.43 KiB) Viewed 4610 times
Attachments
seaera2.jpg
seaera2.jpg (120.97 KiB) Viewed 4610 times
Scott and Linda

Olivia Mae
C350 Hull #53
Erie, Pa.
cuthbert

Post by cuthbert »

I'm slowly chugging along with this as its an ugly project and best tackled in small bites. Much appreciate the responses and now have a question and a few comments.

First the question- The Wilcox Crittendon discharge pipe to the holding tank starts as a 1.5 or 2" white hose and then at approx the midpoint changes to a very robust 1" wire reinforced hose
hoses.JPG
hoses.JPG (68.51 KiB) Viewed 4355 times
. I noticed that everyone who replaced the head has used the (superior?) wire reinforced hose from head outlet to holding tank. Is there a disdvantage to using the white sanitation hose that WM sell in stores, and that are used on the syphon loop and inlet from the thru hull? I ask in part because my local WM has only the white sanitation hose in stock and also if Catalina decided to use that on 50% of the path then it must be good for 100% of the route? I have never had a smell issue in the 12 years I have had the boat.

Comments - I managed to get this off
top of holding tank.JPG
top of holding tank.JPG (71.19 KiB) Viewed 4355 times
by using one of these that I found on Amazon, rad hose remover tool, it prevents the chinese finger problem of pulling the hose off the barb
hose hook.JPG
hose hook.JPG (53.83 KiB) Viewed 4355 times
SeaBreeze

Post by SeaBreeze »

Cuthbert
I replaced sanitation hose on my Morgan 384 many years ago and never had an odor problem with the white hose. Had head replaced on my 350 about 3 years ago. No odor. The white hose, if warmed a bit, can become more flexible which helps with tight bends.
Rick
Sea Breeze
Tampa Bay
Rick Parish
Sea Breeze
Olivia Mae

Post by Olivia Mae »

I used Trident 102 sanitation hose on ours and ran 1" all the way up to the tank. Either Trident 101 / 102 or the sanitation hose that Raritan makes are usually the ones you will find recommended. It's not a particularly fun job, so I didn't want to go with anything less.
Scott and Linda

Olivia Mae
C350 Hull #53
Erie, Pa.