macerator for wilcox crittenden head

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's head here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

SeaBreeze

macerator for wilcox crittenden head

Post by SeaBreeze »

I recently purchased hull 078 which has (I think) the wilcox crittenden 1600 head. Name plate on the head says it's a Newport model and the literature posted in the 'technical articles' of the association web site seems to match in description. My question is - does anyone know if there is a drop in replacement for the macerator? I see there are rebuild kits, but if there is a failure while we are travelling it would be much simpler to replace the entire unit and deal with a rebuild in the comfort of my garage. Always good to have spares.
Thank you
Rick Parish
Sea Breeze
Rick Parish
Sea Breeze
KevinMc

Re: macerator for wilcox crittenden head

Post by KevinMc »

Welcome. I have hull #59 and I'm sure we have the same setup. There is a rebuild kit sold by Defender (Thetford Newport Maintenance Kit - Item 502942) for $139.99. The only part I've had go bad is the impeller and as far as I know the only way to get the impeller is to buy the entire rebuild kit. So yes, it's a $139 impeller but I do use the new gaskets, screws, etc. I've never had an issue with the joker valve.

I've learned when the impeller fails. Where lifting the foot switch up it draws in seawater and expels liquids from the bowl and pressing the foot switch down just expels liquids - when the impeller fails it will stops drawing in seawater. In those situations we just use water from the sink to fill the bowl until I can make the repair.

The rebuild isn't too difficult. Four screws to remove the pump housing from the toilet and then a few more screws to disassemble the motor housing and gain access to the impeller. I will remove the screws holding the toilet to the deck so I have easier access to the motor housing to get to the other screws.

We do not have a separate macerator. I spent some time searching for it until I realized there wasn't a power wire attached to the 12v switch labeled "Macerator" on the 12v panel. I know the inner "paddle" on the pump which expels liquids from the toilet spins fast as heck when it operates and I assume it just beats the waste into small pieces as it pumps it into the holding tank.

There are posts on replacing the toilet which came with the boat with a newer more standard model. I'm considering it. It's easy to replace the impeller but at $139 a pop pretty soon I will have spent enough to have purchased a new toilet.

I would like to get a larger more standard size bowl. I call the toilet the "Norden" in honor of the Norden bomb site used in WW II. (Because your aim has to be pretty good to hit the target.)
Kevin
NavSta Norfolk Marina
SeaBreeze

Post by SeaBreeze »

Thank you for your reply. I've looked at the rebuild kit and wonder how the unit operates. You mention a failed impeller and I only see one in the exploded parts listing. That makes me wonder how a failed impeller can prevent incoming seawater but still allow discharge of effluent once the bowl is partly filled with water from your shower. I guess I have a lot to learn about the mechanics of the little bugger. I couldn't agree more with your other comments.
Best regards
Rick
Sea Breeze
Rick Parish
Sea Breeze
leigh weiss

Post by leigh weiss »

The motor control switch allows the motor to rotate in two directions. The impeller has an internal clutch that allows the impeller to not spin in one direction (to dry the bowl) and spin in the other direction ( to pump water and discharge bowl contents) The macerator/discharge pump will work in either direction of rotation.
I have noticed that my impellers internal clutch fails not allowing the pumping of water into the bowl but does allow the discharge. I have tried to clean the clutch rollers but have had no success. Maybe some one has cracked the code for resurrection of the clutch.
Leigh and Donna Weiss
Brisa #155
Georgetown, MD. USA
russp

Post by russp »

Hi Rick,

I was about to say exactly what Leigh has said! But I also have some experience with cleaning the clutch rollers in the flushing water impeller. I expect depends on the degree of fouling, corrosion of the roller surface, etc, and would expect you will always be better off putting a new impeller in given the time it takes to pull the drive unit apart to get to it.

On one new impeller I made the stupid mistake of thinking "everything goes better with a little bit of grease", and very lightly greased the bush of the impeller as I inserted it. Of course, what that does is hold the rollers back in their cage so they don't freely fall down and lock onto the shaft when rotating the correct way - there is an arrow head on the impeller, absolutely important that it is inserted so that it rotates in the right direction. So I dismantled the pump again, cleaned the impeller with kerosene and a toothbrush, and it is fine and has been working for over a year now without a problem.

So, with these units failure to pump it is not an issue normally of the rubber vanes breaking off or similar, it is just that the roller bearings get fouled enough that they don't freely drop down onto the shaft and lock in the pumping direction. In the other direction they get thrown away from the shaft so impeller doesn't turn.

Good luck, if you don't have a new impeller, worth a try trying to clean them scrupulously, but almost certain to be a better investment of your time to put a new impeller in. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Russ Peel
Avalon #150
Russ Peel
Avalon #150
lazy dog

Post by lazy dog »

Does anyone know where we can get a new impeller for the Wilcox Crittenden Newport 1600? I've called raritan and they told me they did not have them. Westmarine and Defender zilch as well.
Bob
russp

Post by russp »

Hi Bob,

Defender had the kit last year, but looks like have sold out since then. See the emails below, Thetford were stating that they could sell me one early last year, but they might have depleted all stock by now too. Maybe worth trying?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: WCottone@thetford.com [mailto:WCottone@thetford.com] On Behalf Of Info@thetford.com
Sent: Friday, 31 January 2014 2:22 AM
To: Russ Peel
Subject:30:Query re Newport 1600 toilet parts

Hello Russ,

This will be a special order as it is not something that is normally stocked.

Please go to our Thetford Europe web site to find a dealer near you so that they can order this for you.

The web address is www.thetford-europe.com.

Best regards,
Wendy

Consumer Service
Thetford Corp/Norcold Inc

To: <Info@thetford.com>,
Date: 01/30/2014 06:10 AM
Subject: 30:Query re Newport 1600 toilet parts

Hi,

I live in Australia and own a boat fitted with the Wilcox Crittenden Newport 1600 Electric Toilet. The repair kit part number from your website is 37059, can you please advise where in Australia I can purchase this part?

If not, can you please advise if you are able to sell it to me?

Kind regards,

Russ Peel
Russ Peel
Avalon #150
KevinMc

Post by KevinMc »

I'll have to try the cleaning trick to see if I can get the impeller to last longer. There is a rebuild kit sold by Defender (Thetford Newport Maintenance Kit - Item 502942) for $139.99. It shows it's in stock.
Kevin
NavSta Norfolk Marina