What Flavor do you like?

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's head here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Windseeker

What Flavor do you like?

Post by Windseeker »

HI,

I'm thinking I would like to replace the toilet. Sure, I can rebuild it, but then there is the expression "Polishing a T***."

I saw the pic on the PHII and PHEII. That does look like a nice retrofit. :!:

With the old (Newport 1600), I have had to use a large screwdriver to break up solid matter and fish out excessive toilet paper. What a S***** job. I sent in inquiry into Raritan and they said that the manual toilet creates more pressure. How hard is a manual toilet to operate? Can a small child do it?

I see that the PHEII is non-macerating. Perhaps a macerating electric toilet would solve the clog issue? To macerate or not to macerate?

This is a trade-off for sure. Boating is all about the comfort and pleasure. It's unpleasant when your guest says they cannot flush the commode. I've pissed away money before, but I will dump money into this one. I see a manual toilet as being less money, less noise, less energy, less maintenance. Is it more difficult?

Which do you prefer? Manual, electric, electric with manual backup, macerating, non-macerating.

Mark
s/v: Wind Seeker
Hull #75
Chester River - Chesapeake Bay
jking

Re: What Flavor do you like?

Post by jking »

Hi,
I have not tried it, but I am going to consider Natures Head composting toilet. I saw some good reviews by RV folks and it looks like it would save a lot of pump outs. I find my electric one confusing for people and loud in the night, you have to use the shower head to flush it otherwise people use too much water and the holding tank fills too fast, also the tank level is difficult to judge (even with the electric gauge).
natureshead.net
Jan #303
AynB

Post by AynB »

If the Catalina's came with a holding tank lower than the head, I would feel that a non macerating system would be ok.
However, because we have an "updraft" system, where the holding tank is higher than the head and the outflow from the head gets reduced from 1" or 1 and 1/8" down to either a half inch or 3/4" ( been awhile since I have taken it all apart ), if you don't macerate the waste before pushing it UP and through a small hole, you would be prone to plugging up the works. I would stay clear of any non-macerating system be it manual or electric - the problem is going to be the outflow.
As to other comments:
We purchased a bag of tongue depressors to pre-macerate and to clear blockages.
Yes a kid can operate the lever to empty the head - good mechanical advantage.
What is Toilet paper doing in the head in the first place????
[ You know the rule: Nothing in the head that you have not eaten first! ]
Manuals are inherently less demanding of your time to maintain. You can completely rebuild one in about an hour.
They are quieter to operate and have less places that can leak.

Truth time: For the last 3 seasons, we have been using wag bags for solid waste. Only liquid waste in the head. Even with guests. SOOOOOOO much easier and the end of season pump out and cleanup is a breeze.
pdenoncourt

Post by pdenoncourt »

I replaced my electric head with a manual head at least 5 years ago. Would not go back to electric. I have PhII from Raritan and it is easy to operate and nearly foolproof. Small child would probably be unable to turn the selector knob that selects inlet water or evacuate. No problems with "non-macerating".

Peter Denoncourt
s/v KITE, Hull #72
yodagwb

Post by yodagwb »

I ripped out the Electric head probably 3 year after I bought the boat new in 2003. I put in a Raitan PH II. Best move ever. Would never go back, from maintenance, noise, water and power drain stand point. Pumps up to the holding tank no problem. Maintenance and repair, nothing compared to the electric head which came with the boat.
Windseeker

Post by Windseeker »

HI,

I exchanged emails with Raritan.

"The manual version of the PHEII is known as the PHII. And the discharge pressure is much higher than the PHEII electric version, due to a longer stroke in the piston."
- This is very helpful knowledge to me for what I am looking for. :D

There is the PHII and the Fresh Head. The PHII pulls seawater where the Fresh Head used pressurized fresh water. I've never used seawater since day one because of the "Stinky Factor." It is a Chesapeake Bay cruising boat for me. I doubt my toilet will ever see Seawater while I own it. I'm seriously thinking of the Fresh Head model.

I tried to upload this PDF, but this system does not like it. Perhaps you can google this.
L524_Manaul_toilet.pdf
L04v0505 PHII, PHEII Manual.pdf

Mark
s/v: Wind Seeker
Hull #75
Chester River - Chesapeake Bay