Manual Marine head ?

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's head here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

pieterv

Manual Marine head ?

Post by pieterv »

Has anyone replaced their electric head with a manual head.
Is this possible at all.?
Will there be a problem because the holding tank is above the toilet.?
Looking forward to some information,
Thanks
Pieter
SV Marianne
Cat350 #36
pdenoncourt

Re: Manual Marine head ?

Post by pdenoncourt »

I replaced my electric head in 2006 with a manual head. It is a straight 1 for 1 replacement with no complications. I originally got a Thetford manual head, but the flushing handle was poorly designed and broke easily. In 2014 I got a Raritan Ph. II. and love it.

I sold Kite in Nov. 2018, and the head was not an issue for the sale.

Good luck,
Peter Denoncourt
Kite, C-360 #72
Pgtjs

Re: Manual Marine head ?

Post by Pgtjs »

Hi there,

I replaced the electric head with a dual manual and electric unit about 2 years ago - Raritan PF11E as I recall. Fits exactly on the same base and most of the hoses are still ok. We replaced them all eventually as they were 11 years old. Only issue is that we have to be very careful to ensure no paper products etc go down the discharge line. It narrows as I recall from a 1.5" to a 1.0 inch line where it curves over and enters the Holding tank. We have had it blocked a couple of times (by guests?) and needed a pumpout to clear it. The new unit is not a mascerator as is the old one.

Sold the old unit after cleaning it up to "as new" and got $150 for it on Craigs List. In order to prevent salt water scale on the inside of the hoses, we only use fresh water now via the Shower unit. Also leave diluted bowl cleaner in it when the boat is locked up for a week or more.

Hope this helps - if not I will provide my tel number if you need to follow up. Contact me via email at pgtjs@hotmail.com. We changed because of the noise of the old unit and we could not be dependent on an electrical unit when we are anchored in a very remote isolated bay upnorth in Canada. One other point - I don't know if Raritan will sell you the manual add on only as the Toilet bowl is exactly the same.

Cheers, Geoff. Taeko 1V C350-392, Semiahmoo, Blaine, WA.
Geoff.S., Semiahmoo, WA.