Engine does not start

You guessed it. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's engine and transmission here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

TerryClouthier

Engine does not start

Post by TerryClouthier »

I went to start my engine and nothing no sound at all. I didn't have a power meter, but seems there is power getting to the switch. Is there a fuse or breaker somewhere for the starter? I plan to check again tomorrow with my power meter, but I wonder if there are some easy places to start the debugging.

Thanks,
Terry
DuncanMcMillan

Re: Engine does not start

Post by DuncanMcMillan »

if there is no sound when the key is turned or the key does not stay in place when turned then it might be a case of the black plastic ignition backing off on it's thread. It can be fully unloosened and then tightened up quite easily.
If there is sound - buzzer -when key turns but nothing happens when button is pushed then start debugging.
Remember to check that the cut off has been pushed back in from last stopping the engine. I know it sounds stupid but who knew the laptop needed to be plugged in.
Duncan #248
Para Handy
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Terry, there is a circuit breaker on the pedestal. I believe it is near the bottom of the instrument cluster and consists of a button that pops out when tripped. I doubt that is your problem but check it any way.
If this is the first time you've powered up your engine this year, did you check the power cut off switch to the engine? Otherwise it's just a case of getting a meter out and working back from the pedestal.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
skimsail

Post by skimsail »

I am new to 350 and have no experience on the boat.

In general,  however, if you hear no clicking noise, I would test the engine starter solenoid first, that's mounted on the starter motor itself. It has 3 terminals: one heavy terminal that's connected to a battery,  similarly heavy one to the starter motor and a small terminal that's connected to its starting circuit. This small terminal can be shorted to a pos. 12volt source such as the heavy terminal that's connected to battery. You will hear the the solenoid pulling in if it is NOT defective. Otherwise, the problem is in 12 volt supply to the solenoid (like battery terminals, in line fuse, selector switch, etc.) or your starting circuit,  such as the key switch, cylinder heater plug, fuse, and/ or any interlock relays (exhaust fan, fuel pump, etc.) 

I have lot to learn from the fellow 350 owners and hope to hear any feedbacks on my approach. If this seems to be an approach in right direction, I certainly can get into more detail and help you with it. Good luck.

Shaun

312-259-4492
MarkElliott

Post by MarkElliott »

Had similar situation. Key on would get buzzer, move to glow plug on, more clockwise turn of key, voltage would drop to zero and no crank, or even click fuel pump or selenoid. Removed one at a time wires to ingnition switch, then moved down to fuel pump and low oil switch. Replaced a ground wire from fuel lift pump to engine that had some electrical tape on it. Quit for the day. Next day tried turning the key and all was well! Plan on carrying on and taking off each ground and hot lead, cleaning with a bit of emery cloth and replacing after smearing with some battery terminal grease. Methodical one connection at a time cleaning fixes more electrical problems than anything else. Is tedious , but suddenly things are better!
Mark Elliott
Mintaka #71
Noank Ct.
TerryClouthier

Post by TerryClouthier »

I did some additional debugging this weekend and found that I have power at the ignition switch, so I tried replacing it and still the same problem. None of the gauges are working in the on position (run position) including no sound from the buzzer or no blower. Any suggestions on what to check next.

Thanks,
Terry
ElizabethG

Post by ElizabethG »

On that panel, there is a round, kind of clear, rubber button. Press that button and see if that fixes it.

Bill
Atlanta, GA
Alessandro

Post by Alessandro »

I (mr Dopey) had this same problem and Mr Dopey discovered he had left the kill line up and did not reseat it down when he last switched off. This is the little t-handle on the top right of the console. Mr Dopey has not fallen for this one since :)
Alex Kennedy aka Alessandro
Catalina 350 Hull 424
Airlie Beach
Tropical Queensland
Australia
SeaBreeze78

Post by SeaBreeze78 »

FYI only: There is an inline 15 amp glass fuze a couple of inches away from the ignition switch inside the pedestal. Mine is fine, so doing so more trouble shooting to see what is wrong. I get low oil buzzer but no igntion.
D&M

Post by D&M »

Underneath the electric fuel pump there is a small red button. This is the reset for the 20amp breaker shown in the electrical diagrams. Press it (won’t hurt anything) and see if she starts.
Edit: you said you had power to the b term of the key switch so the breaker should be okay. Next stop is the i term when the key is turned. If you have power there (you should with a new switch assuming it is wired up correctly), then check the + term on the buzzer. If there is voltage there move to the P term of the buzzer this should have 8-9 volts. If the buzzer is not sounding it may be failed open or just not sounding. If open there is no path back to the negative terminal of the battery so the circuit is incomplete. You could jump the + and P terminals at this point to see if you get the gauges working.
If there is no power at the + term of the buzzer this circuit routes via the engine oil pressure switch and back of the alternator, where depends on your type of alt. Check the connections at both of these. It is more often the lug on the engine oil pressure switch.

Hope this helps.
Regards,

David
Sea Lanes #281
Cairns, Australi
a
SeaBreeze78

Post by SeaBreeze78 »

Don’t forget there is a rotary switch below the Nav Station for the Engine DC Power. If it is on you will have the low oil buzzer after turning on the key. If no buzzer, check this rotary switch. Plus the key os not like your car. It only allows the black push start button on the far right of the instrument panel.
Made that mistake myself.