Self-Priming my . . .

You guessed it. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's engine and transmission here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Windseeker

Self-Priming my . . .

Post by Windseeker »

Usually, I fill the fuel filters after changing them. This time, I wanted to see if the "Self-Priming" feature worked. I turned on the ignition for at least a minute then cranked on a dry engine fuel filter for at least 30 seconds and not a drop in the filter. I cannot find anything in the manual on this. I drained the muffler and cracked the injectors as normal to start. How is this self-priming feature supposed to work?

Thanks,

Mark

PS: My fuel filter bracket broke some time this season. :(
s/v: Wind Seeker
Hull #75
Chester River - Chesapeake Bay
wolfe10

Re: Self-Priming my . . .

Post by wolfe10 »

Here is how I do it: Open the aft cabin shelf to access the top aft end of the engine and fuel filter. Change filters. Unplug the positive wire from the electric fuel pump. Crack open the bleed screw on the on-engine fuel filter and put a rag under it . Touch the positive lead of the fuel pump to the hot side of the solenoid that is right there. This activates the pump. When bubbles are replaced with fuel from the bleed screw, tighten bleed screw and reattach electric fuel pump lead.

Never tried to "self-bleed". I find this easier than hoping I won't have to drain muffler, over-tax starter, etc.

Brett
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
jonnjones

Re: Self-Priming my . . .

Post by jonnjones »

Here is how I do it:

1. Remove the spin-on fuel filter, being careful to capture the fuel that leaks out. I use a ziplock bag and rags/absorption pads.
2. Spin on a new filter.
3. Crank the engine. It may take a couple of tries, and I don't crank for more than 15 secs at a time, but it works, every time. No need to crack open any injectors or bleed the pump.
Jon and Lori Jones
S/V Wind Orchid
Annapolis
Hull #273