Engine Raw Water Strainer

You guessed it. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's engine and transmission here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

TBOT422

Engine Raw Water Strainer

Post by TBOT422 »

Has anyone relocated the raw water strainer for the engine? Ours is located near the PSI shaft seal under the aft berth cushions and you have to remove nearly everything from the aft cabin to access the strainer. We refer to the aft cabin as the 'aft garage' so clearing out the 'garage' to get to the strainer is a task.

I'm considering relocating it to a location that I can get to more easily, but haven't found any place that looks satisfactory.

Thanks for any suggestions that you have.
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)
wolfe10

Re: Engine Raw Water Strainer

Post by wolfe10 »

Gary,

That is a tough one. You would have to be careful not to elevate it-- you don't want the raw water pump to have to pump water too much uphill from intake.

I did a lot of rerouting between water strainer and raw water pump and raw water pump and heat exchanger-- goal was more water flow. By rotating the water pump clockwise, was able to remove the two 90 degree fittings at the water pump and about 18" of hose.

See if there is room at the front port side of the engine room for it. So water would go from through hull all the way forward to the strainer then up to water pump.

Brett
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL