Oil Pressure Switch removal and replacement

You guessed it. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's engine and transmission here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Jack McDonald

Oil Pressure Switch removal and replacement

Post by Jack McDonald »

One of the two electrical tabs broke off of my oil pressure switch. This causes the alarm to continually chirp/buzz. I can't seem to remove the oil pressure switch. I've tried a 1 and 1/16th inch deep socket, but there is a nearby fitting that prevents the socket from getting over the switch. I've tried channel lock pliers but can't seem to get the right angle or tight grip. I found an oil pressure switch socket at Advance Auto but it doesn't fit this particular oil pressure switch. Can anyone offer some advice on how to gain access to this switch and how to remove it?

Thank you in advance,
Jack
Jack
Friendship
C350, #80
Chesapeake Bay
R.B.

Re: Oil Pressure Switch removal and replacement

Post by R.B. »

There is a service bulletin
http://www.westerbeke.com/ServiceBulletins/sb_125.pdf

Suggesting that a special socket is required. I have not removed it myself so don't have any experience.
Ralph

WOLFHELM
C350 #342
leigh weiss

Post by leigh weiss »

I have removed this and got the tool at PEP BOYS about $10.
Some auto stores have Free tool rental, check your ara.
I have the tool if you need it.

Leigh Weiss
Brisa C350 #155
Leigh and Donna Weiss
Brisa #155
Georgetown, MD. USA
Jack McDonald

Post by Jack McDonald »

Thanks Ralph for the Bulletin.

Leigh:
How dd you get the tool to fit over the oil pressure switch? There is another fitting close to the oil pressure switch that prohibited me from getting the 1 and 1/16th inch deep socket over the switch. Is the special tool similar to a deep socket?

Jack
Jack
Friendship
C350, #80
Chesapeake Bay
leigh weiss

Post by leigh weiss »

The tool is just like a 3/8 drive deep socket.
As I recall I moved some parts and wiggled it on.
I will look at the sending unit in the next day or so and see if I can remember.
Leigh
Brisa C350 #155
Leigh and Donna Weiss
Brisa #155
Georgetown, MD. USA
Jack McDonald

Post by Jack McDonald »

Update: The new oil pressure switch is installed!

I bought the Oil Pressure Switch Socket ($12.49) at Pep Boys during lunch time today. The socket is for 1" to 1 1/16" switches. Then went down to the boat after work to give it another try. In the meantime, I contacted a marine mechanic a couple of days ago and asked if he would take a look. When I arrived at the boat, the marine mechanic had also just arrived. He and I worked together. The layout is such that there is an elbow fitting screwed in just above the Oil Pressure Switch. That elbow was prohibiting the socket from going over the switch. Here are the steps we did:

1. Use an open ended wrench over the elbow fitting and turn it about 1/4 turn. This gave some clearance between the elbow and the Oil Pressure Switch.

2. The Oil Pressure Switch Socket now fits over the Oil Pressure Switch. Loosen the switch about 1/2 turn with the socket. Removed the switch using just fingers.

3. Remove elbow fitting, using open ended wrench and fingers. Save plug for later use.

4. Screw plug (from step 3) into hole left by removal of elbow fitting.

5. Wrap a couple turns of teflon tape around threads of new Oil Pressure Switch. Begin screwing it in using fingers. After hand tight, use socket to snug down.

6. Reconnect two electrical connectors onto tabs on switch.

Hope this helps others.

Jack
Jack
Friendship
C350, #80
Chesapeake Bay