M35B Fuel Filter Bracket

You guessed it. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's engine and transmission here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

c350makeway

M35B Fuel Filter Bracket

Post by c350makeway »

Although this subject has been addressed on prior sites, all owners might be wise to check the fuel filter brackets on their M35B diesel engines. Some of the bracket, which are formed from low carbon steel, have stress fractures at the bend which is causing them to fail. Upon failure of the bracket the fuel filter is held in position only by its rubber fuel lines.

Armin
s/v "Make Way"
Tim April IV

Can anyone post a picture of the broken fuel filter bracket?

Post by Tim April IV »

Armin - thanks from reminding me on this - I've not seen this issue on my boat, but I do remember a number of discussions where other owners had experienced a broken mount.

Can anyone post a picture of this broken mount - or even an unbroken one so that we can see exactly what to look for?

It would be appreciated.

Thanks
Tim Brogan
April IV C350 #68
Seattle
Chris

Fuel filter bracket

Post by Chris »

Upon preparing the boat for winter I notcied the fule filter hanging by the supply hose. The angle bracket that hold it to the engine had broken at the bend. A friend who works in a metal shop had it x-rayed and fixed it for a case of cold ones. It was a fracture caused by bending the metal and not relieving the stress. I highly recommend everyone check their fule filter bracket or get it replaced.
Tim April IV

Replacement Available for the asking

Post by Tim April IV »

Westerbeke mentions in their service bulletin #247
http://www.westerbeke.com/mdtools/servi ... sb_247.pdf

that fractures have been reported, and if your bracket was manufactured before September 2004 that it might be subject to cracking.

They provide a phone number for you to contact with your model #, serial #, and shipping address and they will send you a new bracket free of charge.
Tim Brogan
April IV C350 #68
Seattle
Triumph

Fliter bracket

Post by Triumph »

Unpon opening my engine cover yesterday, I saw my fuel filter hanging by the hoses. I have 166 engine hours. This is the secondary filter on the starboard side of the motor. I think it's likely that they will all fail at some point (per Sept 04). I am leaving for a trip to Nalpes Fla, and now have a problem. Suggest everyone else gets this done before it happens to you at an unopportune time.
Copacetic

Check out the bulletin

Post by Copacetic »

Tim April IV's link is right on. I downloaded the service bulletin and found that I had a knife bend (incorrect and subject to breakage) and called the number on the bulletin. Very good description of the bends in the bulletin. They sent me one in three days and it has a radius bend that reduces the stress on the corner. Looks easy to replace. I also recommend to check it and get it.
Scott Townsend
Copacetic #190
Oceanside CA
tom

Fuel filer bracket

Post by tom »

Mine has failed, getting a replacement from the dealer; suggest all owners check same. When it failed it was only supported by the in/out hoses and was dangerously close to fouling the throttle lines, which could possibly jam them - leading to who knows what consequences.

Tom - Whisper II # 278 - Sydney Australia.
tom

Post by tom »

Have had the bracket replaced by the dealer. He said he had a few of them in stock as several reports of failed brackets had been received and he was expecting more ! One thing I noticed was that one of the fuel lines leading to the filter appeared to have some wear on it where it had been rubbing on the engine or throttle lines - it seems superficial, but is of some concern that it might lead to a weakness/failure of the hose - anybody had to replace the fuel line as well as the bracket ?
wcconway

Re: M35B Fuel Filter Bracket

Post by wcconway »

We have a 2008 Mark II. Our fuel filter bracket broke and we found the filter dangling. We requested a replacement from Westerbeke as noted in the service bulletin. It was an easy install if you are a contortionist. But then again, isn't that true of most maintenance on a boat?
Wally & Coco Conway
, #467
Pensacola, Florida
TBOT422

Re: M35B Fuel Filter Bracket

Post by TBOT422 »

Thanks for bringing this topic back to the top.

We recently purchased a 2007 C350, and after reading this thread, I went down and checked the bracket. Sure enough it is cracked. Right now, the crack only goes about half way down the bracket, but clearly time will make it worse. I will call Westerbeke tomorrow and request a replacement.

For the record, according to the serial number, our engine was manufactured in May of 2006.

Thanks again, that is the kind of thing that makes this forum great.
Gary & Janet, Hull #422