Panda Fisher 4200 - Valve clearance adjustment

You guessed it. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's engine and transmission here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

NormSail350

Panda Fisher 4200 - Valve clearance adjustment

Post by NormSail350 »

Hello,

I am a new Catalina 350 owner as of two months ago -I think hull #41 (Escape), so still learning the boat. I have a Panada Fisher Generator, that ran great at survey, but after using three times for an hour each, would not start - cranked but did not turn over. Fuel looked good etc, exhausted my abilities so called a Panda Fisher technician in Miami. The valve clearance needed adjustment - less that 1 hr of work. The genset ran great two or three more times and hour each and now will not start again. Fuel looks good. Turns out it is the same valve clearance problem - ie. needs adjustment again.

There are a few forums on the internet that seem to inidcate that this is a common problem, but no real explanation on causes or fixes. Anyone else have this problem with their PF and any ideas on what a permanent fix may look like? (I can change fuel and oil filters, bleed fuel, even service an HX, but not much more technical than that).

309 hours on Panda - runs great when she starts!

NormSail350
NormSail350
Escape (hull #40)
Palmetto Bay, FL (Miami)
digitalvillager

Re: Panda Fisher 4200 - Valve clearance adjustment

Post by digitalvillager »

I was having a similar issue with my Panda, but it wasn’t valve clearance. The genset would run fine for a while. Then if it sat for some time it would be hard to crank. The problem was dirty contacts on the two relays. Two 1 inch square cubes that sit on a small shelf half way up the genset next to a fuse. First time it happened, I replaced them, but when it happened again, I pulled them out, cleaned the contacts, put them back in and worked fine. Now it’s just part of the process the start the genset.
Charlie & Jeanne Monroe
PO Hull #285
Amelia Island, Florida
ggsell

Post by ggsell »

I have had this problem and adjusted the clearance only to have it repeat. We later found the exhaust valve seat was corroding. After some internet research we put a small piece of tubing through the housing such that we can fog the exhaust valve with fogging oil when we shutdown to prevent corrosion. It is a pain but has worked for me. I would also suggest you set aside a healthy budget and become good friends with your generator mechanic. These FP generators are high maintenance. I have also had the relay problem referenced. We have about 400 hours on the generator and have replaced the flywheel given worn teeth and repaired the seawater heat exchanger due to a cracked weld.

G Gsell
Zephyrus II
Hull no 411
NormSail350

Post by NormSail350 »

Thanks for the replies. The relays are good. I have the PF service tech coming out again and I will see what happens and will report back!
NormSail350
Escape (hull #40)
Palmetto Bay, FL (Miami)
NormSail350

Post by NormSail350 »

Hi all,

It’s been awhile since I have been on the forum.

Update on my Panda Genset. Three month project. Knock on wood problem solved after some twists and turns. The valve clearance/lash kept tightening on the exhaust side. Had to adjust valve lash every 2nd or 3rd use. I even tried red Loctite.

Pulled the head, put in hardened valve seats and replaced exhaust valve (corroded) and seals. Put all back together, push rods backwards, then timing backwards, flooded the engine with sea water, changed oil, got water out of head/crankcase, adjusted valves correctly the second time (this motor turns counter clockwise not clockwise) started, still some water, changed oil again, started and now will start for a 4th time this weekend. Hav never gotten past the third start before.

Phew.... knock on wood, I think I got it.

300 bucks in parts, couple hundred to a knowledgeable and curious good friend.... and hopefully now will last few years. Learned a lot about these gensets and the Fairymann motor in them and the errors in the service manual. I understand why Farymann is no longer in business!

But she’s purring again.

NormSail350
Escape
Palmetto Bay, Fl
NormSail350
Escape (hull #40)
Palmetto Bay, FL (Miami)