Slow Start of a Cold Engine

You guessed it. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's engine and transmission here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

KenKrawford

Slow Start of a Cold Engine

Post by KenKrawford »

I've noticed that the last couple of times I've started my engine, it was slow to start.
Here's my situation:
4 brand new Trojan T-105 batteries wired in series (to give 12 volts) and then in parallel to give one 420 amp hour bank.
Batteries are fully charged.
All lugs on the cables connecting the batteries were cleaned after new batteries were installed.
The volt meter on the pedestal show 13 volts when pre-glowing.
I pre-glow my engine for about 10 seconds, release the key from the pre-glow position and then press START.
In the past the engine would start immediately. Now it cranks for about 5 seconds before starting. After starting, it runs perfectly and will start immediately when hot.
My initial suspicion is that I have a bad glow plug(s). If so, I've never dealt with glow plugs before. Are they just like spark plugs in a gas engine?
Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
wolfe10

Re: Slow Start of a Cold Engine

Post by wolfe10 »

Yup, either glow plug(s) or glow plug relay. Either one could cause your symptoms and both are potential failure points.

Voltmeter will tell you if 12 VDC positive is going from relay to glow plugs when someone turns the key to the pre-heat position.

If relay is good, disconnect the lead to each glow plug and checking between it and the head/block for Ohms/resistance. I don't have the resistance figures in front of me, but a bad one, will be different than the others.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Thanks Brett. I forgot about the relay. On my C34 with a Universal M25XP engine there was no starting relay so I added one. When it would burn out, the engine wouldn't start at all.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Turns out the relay (solenoid) was the problem. A surprise source for the part turned out to be Home Depot! The only difference I can see is the Westerbeke silver paint.
Attachments
02233078-6673-4B25-A2A4-1F4C0C15CFFE.jpeg
02233078-6673-4B25-A2A4-1F4C0C15CFFE.jpeg (104.88 KiB) Viewed 5063 times
53B71C76-6324-4D90-B2E1-86CE01E3D630.jpeg
53B71C76-6324-4D90-B2E1-86CE01E3D630.jpeg (62.91 KiB) Viewed 5063 times
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

Ken,

Glad you found it and it was a relatively inexpensive and easy fix.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
TBOT422

Post by TBOT422 »

Ken,

I have had repeated failures of the pre-heat solenoid. I found the pre-heat solenoid to be a Ford Starter solenoid. I have used the black one like you show. It failed and I replaced it with a red 'Heavy Duty' one and it failed. Most recently I replaced it with a blue one that is supposed to be 'marine' grade. I haven't tested it lately to see if it has failed yet. I bought all of them on e-bay for around $8. Search for "Ford Starter Car Truck & Marine Solenoid Relay 12V HeavyDuty SW3 - Blue". They seem to have little function in the warm climate of central Florida.
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

No first hand information, as ours has not failed, but I would sure consider a CONSTANT DUTY solenoid vs the start solenoid. And, upping the amp rating another good idea. Unlike a fuse, using a higher rated solenoid has no negative/dangerous effects, but more surface area in the contacts.

The glow plugs and therefore the glow plug relay stay on much longer than a starter motor. Could cause the points in the solenoid to arc and materially shorten the solenoid life.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Gary, when I do an Ebay search using your parameters, the first solenoid shown sells for $999 ! Price mistake?
Brett, you raise a very important issue of constant duty vs starting with the former being a much beefier item. If/when the one I just installed dies I think I'll give this one a try - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0064MX7US/?c ... _lig_dp_it It is rated at 65 amps continuous duty.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
TBOT422

Post by TBOT422 »

Ken,
I agree with you. A lot of links to that solenoid show not available. I did find one still available at http://www.necessityonline.com/index.ph ... s_id=70335, but I also agree with you and Brett. I think the continuous duty solenoid may be a better solution.
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

Here is a 200 amp continuous duty Cole Hersee solenoid for under $60:

https://www.amazon.com/HERSEE-TERMINAL- ... B00FGJIJR6
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
jrohrbaugh

Post by jrohrbaugh »

What solenoid is the best option.
Parts list shows 24 volts?
I have never had starting issues but now it takes a while to start. Even in Florida I usually use the glow plug.
Thanks for any ideas.
Love this forum
So helpful
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

Have you verified that the glow plug solenoid is good/bad? That is the first step.

If the solenoid tests good, and slow start even with engine turning over at normal speed, next step is to individually check the glow plugs.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
jrohrbaugh

Post by jrohrbaugh »

I put in a Westerbeke solenoid yesterday. P/N 024639. Cost $39 from my local boat yard.
Fixed the problem!
Thanks for all the info
c350ia

Post by c350ia »

KenKrawford wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:24 am
The volt meter on the pedestal show 13 volts when pre-glowing.
I pre-glow my engine for about 10 seconds, release the key from the pre-glow position and then press START.
I only recently got my 350 "Trevi" hull 460. I have been starting the engine by turning key to on and then immediately hitting the start button. Sometimes takes a few turns to start. Obviously I am not activating the glow plugs first. How does one activate the glow plugs? What is the "pre-glow" position?
Thanks
Trevor Rabie
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Trevor with they key in the "ON" position the low oil pressure/ high temperature alarm should be sounding. Continue to turn the key clockwise until it won't turn any further. This engages the glow plugs. On a cold engine I usually hold in that position for a "10 count" and then release the key back to the on position. Then press the "start" button and the engine should start. On a warm engine pre-glowing isn't necessary and the engine should start immediately.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
c350ia

Post by c350ia »

Ken,
Thanks much for the info. I think you meant counter clockwise but I get it!
Interesting but I could find no reference to the glow plug position in the Catalina manual for my 350.
Best
Trevor
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

Yes, glow plugs are important in starting, particularly if in cold conditions (engine not warmed up).

The system consists of the key/ignition switch, a glow plug relay and the glow plugs themselves.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
c350ia

Post by c350ia »

Thanks for info. Ken was correct, turn key clockwise, hold for 10 secs bingo easy start. Wish they would have had that info in the manual!