Synthetic motor oil

You guessed it. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's engine and transmission here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

tmh

Synthetic motor oil

Post by tmh »

My 2004 C-350 has always used 10W-30 regular motor oil [has the Universal M35B which I think is made by Kubota] which has been changed regularly at about every 100 hours [once/year]. It has 2400 hours on it and does not burn any oil.
But just recently we took a 1300-1400 mile cruise and put 200+ more hours on the diesel and I began thinking about using synthetic motor oil.
Does anyone have any experience or recommendation on this on a high-hour motor? It is due for an oil change now as we have completed our trip and are back home in Pensacola.

Mike
Irish Ayes, #227
Mike
Irish Ayes
wolfe10

Re: Synthetic motor oil

Post by wolfe10 »

First, the oil needs to be "approved for diesels"-- whether dino or synthetic.

With a normally aspirated engine, assuming you don't overheat/stress it, don't know that you will see a significant difference. Sure, if turbo where you have high heat issues, synthetic would make more of a difference.

Current oil specs for diesels is CK-4.

Be sure to change transmission fluid as well!

Brett
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
tmh

Post by tmh »

Brett,
Thank you very much. I will check these specs out.
Do you recommend changing the transmission fluid every 100 hours as well? I have been doing that every other year - about every 200 hours.

Mike
Irish Ayes, #227
Mike
Irish Ayes
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

200 hours on transmission oil is likely OK. Unless you start finding more particulates in the oil when you change it.

Brett
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
tmh

Post by tmh »

OK great, thanks.

Mike
Mike
Irish Ayes
yodagwb

Post by yodagwb »

Without upgrading the oil filter via an additional external oil filter system I doubt there is much of a reason to switch. Even thought the oil will/ would hold up it has the problem of filtering out the particulate load which in turn defeats the reason to go to Synthetic. You would be asking the oil filter to do twice as much work as it is designed to preform. While synthetic may give you a little more wiggle room in the short run, as far as long run oil changing schedule extention, probably not the best idea.