Engine Remote Expansion Tank- Lack of Hot Water & Engine Overheating

You guessed it. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's engine and transmission here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Interlude35

Engine Remote Expansion Tank- Lack of Hot Water & Engine Overheating

Post by Interlude35 »

The Universal Diesel Operators Manual on page33 states “If any portion of the heating circuit rises above the engine closed cooling system pressure cap, then a pressurized (aluminum) remote expansion tank (Kit # 024177) must be installed in the circuit to become the highest point”. I think our hot water heater & connection hoses are higher than the engine closed cooling system pressure cap.

A small literature on the web note inadequate hot water heating and engine overheating can result when the hot water heater or any porting of the piping is above the engine pressure cap and does not have a remote expansion tank. Is it possible the posts concerning inadequate heating of hot water and engine overheating could be caused by the lack of a remote expansion tank?

I would appreciate any feedback on this topic as so far I have unable to make our hot water heater effectively make hot water from the engine.

Thank you,
John & Marilyn Ferguson
Interlude(2004 C350)