Aqua lift muffler

You guessed it. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's engine and transmission here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

william vanwagoner

Aqua lift muffler

Post by william vanwagoner »

After completing the damper plate replacement today, I noticed rusty stains on the shelf where the back of the aqua lift muffler is strapped to. I removed the muffler and discovered a drain plug right on the bottom where the back end sits on the shelf (making it impossible to use it without removing the entire muffler). The head of the drain screw was covered in rust but upon scraping I found shiny metal making me think it is stainless. I put a wrench on it and it sheared off in the muffler. The threaded part inside was heavily corroded making me think it rusted from the inside out, probably due to anerobic conditions from water stagnating in the muffler. Has anyone had this problem (you might want to check)?

I am thinking about drilling it out and putting thickened epoxy in the hole with a few layers of fiberglass over it since restoring a drain plug at this location is senseless (this is not the Catalina furnished muffler kit from 2006 or so which was put near the bottom of the endcap at the front of the muffler). Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to attach even a downsized image of what I found.
Bill VanWagoner
Destiny #229
TBOT422

Re: Aqua lift muffler

Post by TBOT422 »

I believe our Aqua Lift muffler has developed a leak. After some work at the local yard replacing the cutless bearing and shaft seal, I checked the shaft area after about 45 minutes motoring toward our home dock and found several quarts of water behind the muffler and under the prop shaft. The water appears to be coming from the muffler (salty and warm), but I am not positive yet. It may be from a hose connection, but it is not obvious. Has anyone ever replaced their Aqua Lift muffler or had problems with it leaking? I've read some internet posts about them bursting in cold weather. Our boat is in FL, so extreme cold is not a normal issue, but we did have some sub-freezing temperatures this winter.

Thanks for any insight that you may have.
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)