Raw water pump replacement

You guessed it. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's engine and transmission here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

JeffnCristol

Raw water pump replacement

Post by JeffnCristol »

We bought our 2004 C350 last year. Love the boat (living on it - currently in the Abacos Bahamas).

I've recently noticed water pouring out of the impeller housing. I've ordered the Sherwood "B" pump for $550. From all the other water pump replacement posts - I'm reading there are no special tools needed - just basic wrenches. Would someone confirm?? It looks like a fairly simple process??
KenKrawford

Re: Raw water pump replacement

Post by KenKrawford »

Jeff, welcome to the forum. I envy you being in the Abacos. On of my favorite places.

I'm a bit puzzled by your description of "water pouring out of the impeller housing". Normally when these pumps leak, it is through the weep holes located behind the pump body.

There's a couple of lip seals on the pump shaft in that area that can be replaced for a reasonable cost. I assume that because of your location, it wouldn't be practical to send the pump in to be rebuilt.
To answer your question, swapping out pumps is a very easy task and doesn't require any special tools.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
russp

Post by russp »

Hi Jeff,

I have just been through this, confirm as Ken says that pump is easy to remove and replace, but does involve pulling hoses off and losing a bit of water. Also take note of requirement when refitting to just tighten bolts finger tight, then run motor to self locate, then tighten them fully.

If your seals have leaked then in all probability your bearings are ruined or soon will be. Seems that with these pumps although the weep holes should keep the bearings dry, they don't! Unless you stop the pump after the first drip, the bearings are apparently usually shot so you are looking at a pump rebuild. However, you might be lucky, I wasn't.

I looked at the Dornhoffer (?) which has plain bearings, not ball bearings, and in the end decided on a rebuild kit for the Sherwood. A new Sherwood is an even safer proposition, and probably not a lot more expensive.

Cheers
Russ Peel
Avalon #150
JeffnCristol

Post by JeffnCristol »

Ken & Russ - thanks for the replies. We've always had a slight drip from the weep holes - but never took it too serious. Fortunately - we caught the steady stream while sitting in a mooring field (close to shore).

Sitting in West Palm airport now with a new Sherwood pump in hand - headed back to Treasure Cay this afternoon to replace. I'm gonna assume the worst & guess the old one is rusted. We'll look at rebuilding the old later when we can carry it to the US.

We'll tackle the project tomorrow morning & will post pictures. Thank you for the replies - we're truly hoping it'll be a simple swap (with a wet vac nearby to catch the extra water).
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Don't forget to shut your raw water thru hull before pulling the old pump. It will minimize the wet vac need after.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
nybor

Post by nybor »

Has anyone noticed that when someone posts a item about something leaking, others immediately have the SAME issue with their boats?

Last Saturday I just happened to remove the stairway cover and noticed the pump was dripping. Alas, I am going on an extended trip so had to order a new one, next day air. Talk about expensive! But like others, I plan to rebuild my old one and keep for backup (at this rate, I will have enough "back-up" parts to build a second engine!).

Thanks for the tip on finger tightening first. I would not have thought of doing that!

Dave B
Nybor
JeffnCristol

Post by JeffnCristol »

Project finished - not near as bad as I was anticipating. Two things to note - definitely close thru-hull first, and reattach the NPT fittings before attaching the new pump to the engine. Here's a picture for anyone going to tackle this. A 10mm wrench to remove & reinstall the 2 water pump bolts, and I used a pair of vice grips to remove & reinstall the NPT fittings.

It's nice to have no leaks!!! Now we're ready to leave (from the Abacos south towards Eleuthra then to the Exumas).
Attachments
Water pump #3.jpg
Water pump #3.jpg (124.63 KiB) Viewed 6331 times
KevinMc

Post by KevinMc »

Talk about C350's having psychic connections! Had a mechanic out yesterday to look over the engine before heading to the Bahamas next week. The Sherwood raw water needs to be rebuilt. Will be $250 vs. $500+ for a new pump. I was thinking of replacing the pump before we left Virginia in October (we are in Daytona Beach now) but thought it was something I could put off.

I agree with his recommendation. Three years ago when we got Osprey we had minor corrosion at the weep holes and it's at the point of needing the rebuild.
Kevin
NavSta Norfolk Marina