Fuel Filter P/N 298854 size change?

You guessed it. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's engine and transmission here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

knitchie

Fuel Filter P/N 298854 size change?

Post by knitchie »

Working on my new to me 2007 Catalina 350 in preparation for launch next week. Unfortunately, I have been unable to get a maintenance history on the boat, and it appears that the filters, impeller and zinc have never been changed. So, I am replacing all of the fluids, filters, impeller and zinc.

I purchased genuine Universal replacement parts. But, after removing the secondary fuel filter, P/N 298854, I noticed that the new filter, same P/N, is about 1/8" smaller in diameter. It spins on fine, but is smaller than the outside lip of the filter base. Unfortunately, the original filter was crushed when I finally got it unseated, so I can't put it back on.

Did the filter size change since 2007? Will the new size work? Is there a different P/N I should be using?

Thanks, Ken
Air Mobility

Re: Fuel Filter P/N 298854 size change?

Post by Air Mobility »

Ken
That is the part number I have on the engine and as a spare. My only concern is that the seal seats correctly on the base. If it does and there is no fuel leak when the engine is started, I would be comfortable.
I just checked my fuel filter. It is slightly smaller than the base. It sits below the air intake and behind the fuel injector pump on the starboard side of the engine. The oil filter is slightly proud of its base, sits on the opposite side of the engine and is mounted horizontally. I changed both last week and took a look to make sure I did not get them reversed.
Enjoy the boat. It's a lot of fun.

George
Sv Air Mobility
Hull 158