Starter

You guessed it. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's engine and transmission here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

yodagwb

Starter

Post by yodagwb »

A few years ago my starter started a new trick just to irritate my at the most inconvenient times. Turn the key, nothing. Traced it down to a bad starter. One or two taps with a small hammer or wrench and it would start with no problem. These days its happening more often and it is starting to make odd sounds. Looked into buying a replacement starter, $1000. Are these people nuts? I am I missing something? Anyone been down this road and know where to get a replacement started for a Universal M35B without having to file a police report?
TBOT422

Re: Starter

Post by TBOT422 »

I/m not sure where you got a $1000 quote, but I found one on Amazon for $128 (http://www.amazon.com/Starter-Universal ... B0052Z95I6).

The engine built on the Kubota V-1305 block and the starter should be available for any Kubota tractor dealer. I see starters for around $80 on-line for them. http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-6280-new- ... gQodzYcAXw

I'd take the old starter along with the Kubota serial number on the block to a Kubota tractor store and see what you can get.

If they cross reference to a Kubota part number, let us know so we'll all know what the replacement is.

Good Luck
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)
yodagwb

Post by yodagwb »

Went to the Universal site. They linked to diesel Direct along with Toad Marine affilated with Torressen Marine.
I did see the started for the Atomic 4 online but couldn't identify it as a replacement part or a part number which matched the #200546 part number in the supplied manual. I will pull it and try Kubota.
yodagwb

Post by yodagwb »

Well it turns out it is a Kubota engine starter model 18400N you were right, Thank You. Not fun to replace.