Replacement Gasket for Raw Water Strainer

You guessed it. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's engine and transmission here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Chuck_on_Hudson

Replacement Gasket for Raw Water Strainer

Post by Chuck_on_Hudson »

My boat is late 2004 vintage.

I need to replace the gasket that seals the top plate of the raw water strainer housing.

Does anyone have any information on this item? The strainer top plate and support rods appear to be bronze, and the body is clear plastic. The gasket is about 2.5" diameter, about 1/4" wide and maybe 3/16" thick. Black rubber but it might be neoprene.

Appreciate any info.

Thanks,

Chuck
Fat Cat

Re: Replacement Gasket for Raw Water Strainer

Post by Fat Cat »

We also have an '04 model. I thought the "O" ring was getting a bit hard, so I ordered a new one, but it arrived as two rings, one for the top and one for the bottom. Replacing both pretty much gives you a new sea water strainer. It comes apart quite easily.

Fat Cat
Chuck_on_Hudson

Where did you order the gasket from? I cannot find any information about the manufacturer of the sea water strainer, the strainer model, and the gasket part number.

Do you have this information?

Thanks,

Chuck
Fat Cat

Post by Fat Cat »

Sorry, it seemed a small item at the time, so I didn't keep any information on the strainer. However, if you look closely on the top cap of the strainer, you should be able to make out the make and perhaps the model that is cast into the metal. I ordered mine through our local boat store, Ocean Pacific Marine (Campbell River, BC).
Allsail

Post by Allsail »

Chuck,
I have a 2005 C350, #326.
My strainer is a Perko 3/4. Cat. No. 0493005PLB.
The rubber gasket kit no I have listed is 0493DP599R. 99R is for the rubber gasket version as opposed to the older cork gasket kit no 99M. There is one cover gasket and two cylinder gaskets in the kit.
I changed mine several years ago and do not remember if I obtained from Perko or a third party vendor. Catalina may carry them, also.
I believe spare parts information was available on line at the Perko website.
Allen Barnes
Chuck_on_Hudson

Allen,

That's it! Thanks for the information. I have the same strainer as the model number you gave, based on the pictures on the Perko site. Perko's site says I can order through my local West marine store.

Regards,

Chuck
TBOT422

Post by TBOT422 »

I'm looking for the gasket for our raw water strainer. It doesn't look anything like the Perko strainer discussed above. It looks more like a Sherwood or ShurFlo model, but there are no part numbers or brand names on it. The bowl gasket has a 1/8" square cross section and a 2" ID. Does anyone know where I can buy the gasket? Catalina direct does not have them, nor the part number but they will sell the entire strainer for $34.
Strainer.jpg
Strainer.jpg (4.47 KiB) Viewed 7767 times
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

I assume you are talking about an O-ring. If so, just take the one you have to a decent hardware store or plumbing supply house and see if they have a replacement.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
TBOT422

Post by TBOT422 »

Ken,

Yes it is an "O-ring" of sorts, but it has a 1/8" square cross section not round. I doubt the local hardware store will have anything like it, however, I suspect a standard O-ring might work, but I would prefer to have the correct one if I could find out who the manufacturer was and what the part number is.
Gary & Janet
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

I agree. Would not use an "almost as good" below the water line. Too little upside, too much potential downside!

Brett
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
TBOT422

Post by TBOT422 »

This story gets far more interesting:

Warren Pandy to the rescue: :D
Gary, that filter comes from…. “The Specialty Mfg Co.” (SMC) tel 651-653-0599 St. Paul Minn
Ask for the O ring for a (1/2” MPT) #573-1890 filter unit and you should be all set.
Or go to http://www.specialtymfg.com and you will see it under filters
I contacted Specialty Mfg., the gasket is only $0.35, but there is a catch:
Our EPDM seal for the type b line strainer is pink. The part number is 5580480.
We have a $100.00 minimum order. Price on this gasket is .34853. You don’t
want to buy that many gaskets do you?
Thanks
Liz Morlang
Customer Service Representative
I suppose I could place a $100 order and provide spare gaskets to the entire fleet? :shock:

More internet research found a square gasket at The O-Ring Store, the correct size Buna-N ring costs $0.32 plus about $5 shipping.
http://www.theoringstore.com/index.php? ... ts_id=4349

After all of this work, I will certainly be more careful when cleaning the filter in the future.
Gary & Janet