LED Cabin Lights

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's electrical systems or electronics here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

zman18

LED Cabin Lights

Post by zman18 »

I looking at replacing some of my interior lights with LED's. Mostly we use the small lamp lights over the table and stbd side sitting area. Does anyone one know what size LED lamps to buy?
Thanks
John
Compass Rose
John Zoda
Compass Rose
Hull# 484
digitalvillager

Re: LED Cabin Lights

Post by digitalvillager »

I just replaced all of the interior lights on Quit In Time for less than $60 including delivery and a couple of spares. I bought the lights through Amazon and am very pleased with them. The color is identical to the Halogens with no anomalies. When I get down to the boat this weekend, I will post the information to this thread. With the price of LED's dropping like digital watches (not including Apple's), I think a continued discussion about LED's is a good idea. I'm looking forward to a cool, well lit summer.
Charlie & Jeanne Monroe
PO Hull #285
Amelia Island, Florida
digitalvillager

Here is the purchase info for the bulbs I bought on Amazon:
LE 3W G4 LED Bulb, Equivalent to 40W Halogen Bulb, 12VAC, Bi-Pin Light Bulb, Warm White, Pack of 10 Units
Sold by: NEON MART
I had two left over, but it was still cheaper than buying the bulbs individually. Also you have to carefully trim about an eighth of an inch off the connectors to get them to go all the way into the socket.

Weanas ® 4x G4 Base 48 LED Light Bulb Lamp 3 Watt AC DC 12V/10-20V Warm White Undimmable Equivalent to 20W Incandescent Bulb Replacement
Sold by: Huzala
You have to buy two packs of these to replace all the lamps.
Charlie & Jeanne Monroe
PO Hull #285
Amelia Island, Florida
zman18

Post by zman18 »

Charlie,
Thanks for the info!!!
John
John Zoda
Compass Rose
Hull# 484
Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

John -

Take a look at this thread for some more thoughts on LED cabin lights...

http://catalina350.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=991

Bob
Guinevere
Guinevere
Lulu

Post by Lulu »

Lowes and home depot carry G4 led that will fit reading lights and head lights for 7.99 each. You might have to snip off a little of the prongs. They work great. I ordered my dome lights online from LED Dr I replaced one of them in red for night cruising which I installed over the nav desk and one in blue which is also installed in the salon and adds a really nice ambiance.

Happy to say every light on my boat is now a led inside and out
Leslie West
S/V Tiki Hull 154
Docked Pensacola Florida
digitalvillager

i'm ready to do the exterior lights. Can you share the details for each fixture?
Charlie & Jeanne Monroe
PO Hull #285
Amelia Island, Florida
leigh weiss

Post by leigh weiss »

To all who like to tinker!
I replaced my running lights with LED's by buying two stern lights and using the clear lenses from them to replace the red and green lenses.
The covers provide the angle of viewing.
I then used a red, white and green led flat bulb replacement for each.
It was cheaper to buy the entire fixture than just the lens. I now have lots of spare parts!!!
Leigh and Donna Weiss
Brisa #155
Georgetown, MD. USA