Battery Fuse

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's electrical systems or electronics here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

zman18

Battery Fuse

Post by zman18 »

While inspecting my batteries I noticed that only 1 of my 2 house batteries has an inline fuse. In looking at some options to install a fuse I came across a product by Blue Sea Systems called a terminal fuse which mounts directly to the battery terminal. Has anyone used this product?
John Zoda
Compass Rose
Hull# 484
TBOT422

Re: Battery Fuse

Post by TBOT422 »

Terminal fuses are a good approach. You may want to read this article:
http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/battery_fusing

Generally, there are fuses on the smaller wires connected to the positive terminal (such as the charger, and factory volt meter). However, I don't believe Catalina puts a fuse on the main 1/0 gauge wire connecting to the house bus bar. It does have the main 135 amp circuit breaker to most of the loads, and separate fuses for the windlass and power winches. I don't know if there are any fuses in the starter circuit. The above article might may suggest that the addition of a properly sized terminal fuse to protect the 1/0 cable could be a good thing.

If your second house battery is wired in parallel creating a single large bank, and you are referring to the cable between the 2 positive terminals of the 2 batteries (hopefully also 1/0), then it wouldn't need a fuse any more than the main cable to the house bus bar. If you have smaller gauge wires connected to the positive terminals of BOTH batteries in a single large bank, I'm not sure what the purpose would be, but they should be fused (typically small in-line fuses).
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)
R.B.

Post by R.B. »

I use terminal fuses as outlined in the Pbase.com article. I have not had any issues with them. I bought the 2 terminal ones.
Ralph

WOLFHELM
C350 #342
TBOT422

Post by TBOT422 »

Ralph,

What size did you use? 300A?

Thanks
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)
R.B.