Raymarine Troubleshooting Charge

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's electrical systems or electronics here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Allsail

Raymarine Troubleshooting Charge

Post by Allsail »

There was a recent post that alluded to an unbelievable, at least to me, $1500 dollar troubleshooting charge by Raymarine.
I recently had the screen on my C-80 fail and a $1500 dollar charge was never mentioned when discussing the repair with the Raymarine Service Dept. In fact the repair turned out to be less than $200, including shipping/handling, etc., when completed. I found their service timely and professional.

Two other items that might be of some interest to the group that i encountered recently:
#As most of u all probably know the PSS Shaft Seal System by PYI utilizes double set screws to hold the stainless steel rotor against the carbon stator, compressing the bellow.
While i had checked the clamps on the bellows numerous times i never checked the set screws.
As i was going out the St Simons Sound Inlet i discovered that all the set screws had loosened enough to permit the stainless rotor to move forward, causing a significant leak. Other than that issue, which was my fault, the system has operated flawlessly.
#The factory installed hot water compressed/crimped hose clamp under the galley sink let go under pressure which i replaced with a regular stainless hose clamp.

C-350 #326
KenKrawford

Re: Raymarine Troubleshooting Charge

Post by KenKrawford »

I have hull # 351 and ran into the same, exact scenario as Allsail with my PSS Shaft Seal. To make matters worse, the float switch on my bilge pump failed so water was nearly up to the floor boards. This was discovered just before leaving the boat one weekend. Don't just tighten the set screws. Measure the length of the bellows and make sure it is compressed to 6 1/4". If you're going to go to the trouble of checking this, reverse the set screws as well. The points on mine had worn considerably.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
DuncanMcMillan

Post by DuncanMcMillan »

With regard to Raymarine repair charge I'll let you know what they estimate for an inspection and possible repair of SL70RC which I'm just removing.
I spoke to the local rep who don't do repairs but send it off to another distributor and he thought it might be a "good deal" if I coul;d get it done for less than a $1000.
Bearing in mind that none of todays (Raymarine or Lowrance) equipment is compatible and you need to replace the dome, cable and display you are looking at $4-$5k so $1k is "sort of"a good deal.
Used SL70RC's sell on e bay for about $600- $1000 but of course no warranty and who knows how long it would last.
My preference is for Raymarine to repair.
Duncan #248
Para Handy
dpaulo

Post by dpaulo »

I wrote the comment about the $1500 charge and, yes, it sounds unbelievable. It was not firsthand info, but I was directly quoting personnel from an authorized Raymarine dealer. I have not personnally experienced Raymarine service. However, I have received curt and unhelpful telephone troubleshooting service from Raymarine as well as good information and helpful answers from www.Raymarine.com/support. dan
nybor

Post by nybor »

Ken, you mentioned 6.25 inch length of the bellows. Can you tell me (us) where are you measuring to/from.
thanks for this very useful info, since i am changing my damper plate as I write this.
dave
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

nybor wrote:Ken, you mentioned 6.25 inch length of the bellows. Can you tell me (us) where are you measuring to/from.
thanks for this very useful info, since i am changing my damper plate as I write this.
dave
Measure from the foremost to aftmost edges of the rubber bellows.
Attachments
PYI.jpg
PYI.jpg (8.12 KiB) Viewed 10920 times
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
nybor

Post by nybor »

Thanks!

dave
nybor

Post by nybor »

OOPS. It looks like the 6.25 inch dimension in the photo is measured from one end of the bellows to the front of the dripper.
Is this correct?
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

No sure what the "dripper" is. The bellows is black rubber. It terminates forward resting against the stainless collar. Start measuring here and continue aft to the other end of the bellows just past the 2 hose clamps.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
nybor

Post by nybor »

mia culpa. I was calling the dripper the rigid part of the assemblage that has the tube fitting and nipple installed into its side. I guess that is an integral part of the bellows. Since I am not at the boat, I may be completely wrong. (ask my wife!)

thanks
dave
DuncanMcMillan

Post by DuncanMcMillan »

After speaking with Raymarine in NH direct and having them confirm that parts and service were available for my SL70CRC I sent the unit to the local distributor which is an authorized repair center. Raymarine suggested I do this . After about 3 weeks they (distributor) finally came back and advised that despite best efforts they could not locate any parts and unit was past it's working life. It was pointed out that the radar was analog and everthing was now digital so it was time for me to bite the bullet and purchase a complete new system with cable, dome etc.
This seems to be at odds witht Raymarine website which states that they will provide parts and repair equipment for ten years after date of last manufacure. The unit came to the market in 2003 ( still have the brochure) and was installed in 2004 so I have to think they made them to at least 2005 or 2006.
In speaking with Raymarine today they again said that they had parts avaialble and if I wanted to now send the unit to them in NH they would repair it. I have asked the distributor to return the unit to me at my cost and I'll send it to Raymarine. It's a frustrating chain.
If anyone has a working unit that they have replaced or upgraded I'd be happy to discuss .
Duncan #248
Para Handy
DuncanMcMillan

Post by DuncanMcMillan »

Just an update to show that sometimes Christmas wishes do come true and a big thank you to Raymarine, Nashua, NH.
I did send my SL70CRC to them in late November. Just before Christmas they called to say they had it on the bench and although main CPU board had been locked up and parts no longer available they had managed to load software V4.11. This freed up the CPU board and they tested and ran it for 3 hours with all functions and operating normal. They charged me a nominal bencheck fee and return shipping which was service above and beyond. Eventually I'll have to replace the entire system but for now we are back in business.
When it comes time for the replacement I will be using Raymarine again.
Kevin was excellent on the tech side explaining what he had done and Linda in customer service kept me informed on where my unit was in the system. Both were great ambassadors for their company.
Duncan #248
Para Handy