Raymarine SL70RC Plus Radar/Chartplotter display

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's electrical systems or electronics here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

DuncanMcMillan

Raymarine SL70RC Plus Radar/Chartplotter display

Post by DuncanMcMillan »

After nearly 9 years of troublefree operation we have a malfunction. When switched on with nav instruments we get the panther eyes coming up but then the screen flutters to black with MOB and a few of the soft key options showing. None of the keys clear the screeen or have any effect and it goes back and forth between the panther eyes and the locked screen.
All the other Nav displays are good.
Can anyone advise what I should be checking? IOM mentions mentions power cable and system fuse.
Do you go in from the back of display?
Duncan #248
Para Handy
dpaulo

Re: Raymarine SL70RC Plus Radar/Chartplotter display

Post by dpaulo »

I just returned from a week long sail of the Chesapeake Bay and a similar thing happened to me on Ease Alee (2003, Hull #3, 1400 engine hours) during this trip. My Raymarine RL70C Plus "Pathfinder" chartplotter began going off, then on to the panther-eyes logo screen, then off, on, off, etc. It never came on to a workable screen. My integrated Sea Talk instruments (wind,depth,speed) worked fine but of course I could not use radar as the chartplotter screen never came up.

I was told on the Raymarine troubleshooting site to check the power input and if okay the problem is probably internal to the unit (see http://raymarine.ning.com/forum/topics/ ... _com_forum)

I contacted an authorized Raymarine service rep who told me: Sounds like an internal problem and I would have to send the unit to Raymarine. They would charge $1500 to open the box (that's what he said!) with no guarantees of a fix since they don't produce parts for the unit anymore and are only interested in selling new units. They are a big rip-off and can't see them staying in business with their current service policies........again his words. Also, upgrading would probably not integrate with my Raymarine radar or Seatalk instruments so would need to buy the lot to get back to what I have now. His best advice was to upgrade to another brand or find a used chartplotter on ebay and use it until everything eles fails and then upgrade. Pretty harsh!

I have found a used chartplotter that I am waiting to receive. Installation looks straightforward: remove the back of my Navpod, remove screws retaining the chartplotter, unplug connecting cables from back of old chartplotter, install new chartplotter, plug in connecting cables, replace Navpod cover.

I did find several used units around the internet and on ebay, but only one color unit. At the worse I was prepared to just replace the unit with a radar screen and mount another stand-alone chartplotter. Eventually I would just use VHF-DSC and remove the radar. Anyhow, sorry for this sad commentary and good luck to you. Dan
DuncanMcMillan

Post by DuncanMcMillan »

Thanks Dan. It sounds like you got the Steve Martin treatment when he tried to rent a car in Planes, Trains and Automobiles.
At least I know now that I didn't it abuse it which seems to be the first thing suggested by the OEM.
I'll ask around locally and see if anyone can fix. If I get any success I'll let you know.
Duncan #248
Para Handy
PHerzfeld

Post by PHerzfeld »

An updates on this? I'm curious...
Phil
Paramethia
Hull #55
DuncanMcMillan

Post by DuncanMcMillan »

Phil, I posted an update on Jan 3 ander Raymarine Troubleshooting Charge(next topic down). I tested the unit on my boat and it worked a treat. It actually allows slightly better zoom in than originally. Just need to get some dielectric gel and white sealant to install. I think its job #7 of 37 . Too busy getting the heavy snow off the cover today before it pulled out the stanchions.
Duncan #248
Para Handy