Electric Winch Switches

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's electrical systems or electronics here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

TBOT422

Electric Winch Switches

Post by TBOT422 »

Do your electric winch switches look like the ones below?

Ours did. A few weeks ago I activated the switch and it stuck on with the winch running non-stop. I eventually went below and tripped the winch breaker to turn off the winch. The problem was that the rubber boot that covers the switches had deteriorated and when pressed, it wouldn't rebound and release the switch.

You can get replacement covers from West Marine - W/M #10186898 - Harken P/N B6289 for $20 each.

I ordered new covers from Torresen Marine OnLine - Harken P/N HCP2029 for $12.43 each plus shipping. They came with both the deteriorated rubber cover and the second lower rubber cover that actually houses the switch. Probably molded at the same time, but I didn't replace the lower cover as it would have required re-soldering the switches. I'm not sure why there seems to be 2 Harken part numbers for the exact smae thing.

By the way, the photos below is not from my old switches, it's from the Fall 2012 MainSheet Issue in the technical pullout for the Catalina 470.
Attachments
Winch Switch Covers
Winch Switch Covers
Winch Switch002.JPG (69.53 KiB) Viewed 8305 times
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)