Nextgen 3.5KW

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's electrical systems or electronics here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

dvolkman

Nextgen 3.5KW

Post by dvolkman »

Has anyone installed a Nextgen genset into their 350? We've been toying with the idea for the past two years and are getting close to doing the install. I would like any tips if anyone has done it.

Thanks,
David Volkman
Electric Ladyland
leigh weiss

Re: Nextgen 3.5KW

Post by leigh weiss »

dvolkman wrote:Has anyone installed a Nextgen genset into their 350? We've been toying with the idea for the past two years and are getting close to doing the install. I would like any tips if anyone has done it.

Thanks,
David Volkman
Electric Ladyland
David
I have the same generator in C350 #155
Located in South Jersey.
If you want to see it and talk about the install please respond to
Weiss@rowan.edu
Leigh Weiss Brisa #155
Leigh and Donna Weiss
Brisa #155
Georgetown, MD. USA
Pete Bruzik

Post by Pete Bruzik »

Hello All,
I have a NexGen 3.5 installed in the port rear sugar spoon area of the stern. We have had it for three years and it works very well. If you are considering purchasing it make sure you have the AC blower installed rather than the standard DC blower. More expensive BUT the noise of the NexGen supplied 12V blower is really bad. Unit runs very well - Heat pump (A/C, heat), with Charger (bulk mode) and house system all on no problem if you need to make hot water at the same time shut off the charger untill water is hot (does not take long). Everything on at the same time with charger in bulk mode will trip the generator. Most time I will make hot water once a day prior to showers - if we are on the hook the battery charger is in bulk mode first thing in the morning.
We are in the Annapolis area of the Chesapeake and really enjoy the "freedom" it gives us to stay out of marinas. When we went to the Bahamas we also brought the Honda 2000 we used prior to buying the NexGen as backup - another great purchase.
If you are in the area or passing thru I'd be glad to show it to you. Also have a great installer to recomend.
Regards - Pete Bruzik - Pekabu3 - C350 #107
dvolkman

Post by dvolkman »

That's for the replies earlier this year. We held off last Spring so I never got back to them. But we just bought the 3.5 at that Annapolis Sailboat show so we are going to install it in the next few weeks. SO...where did people install the water intake and exaust through-hulls? Do you have any pictures?

Thanks again!

David Volkman
hull #261
Electric Ladyland
City Island, NY
leigh weiss

Post by leigh weiss »

David,
We installed the exhaust through hull at the stern in the dark blue boot stripe 4 " above the waterline.
The water intake is on the starboard side next to the transmission like the engine intake. We removed the back cabin storage shelf/alcove and replaced it with a door for access to the generator. The boat will be out of the water next week in South Jersey and you are welcome to inspect the install. We have had it for three seasons and are very glad we have it.

Leigh Weiss Brisa # 155.
Leigh and Donna Weiss
Brisa #155
Georgetown, MD. USA
bibbjs

Post by bibbjs »

Does anyone have pictures of their install? We are about to add this to #45 and don't want to reinvent the wheel.

J.
J. Bibb
Magick Dragon (formerly Snooze Time)
Hull #45
nybor

Post by nybor »

Hi Leigh.

I am thinking of installing a 50 MW fusion generator. Since you have obviously already done this (does the rest of the community notice that Leigh has ALL the bells and whistles on his boat?) is it difficult? Doesn't the 23,000 tons of equipment slow you down?

dave
leigh weiss

Post by leigh weiss »

D.
I am thinking of adding anti gravity to lighten the load. Look for the install instructions in Mainsheet soon.
Hope all is well and I am heading South to see what a winter is like without frost bite!!!!!!
Leigh and Donna Weiss
Brisa #155
Georgetown, MD. USA
Fat Cat

Post by Fat Cat »

Has anyone looked at or installed an Efoy fuel cell system? We had a look at this at the Ocean Pacific Boat Show in Campbell River and although a bit pricey, it certainly could be an alternative to generators or solar panels.

Fat Cat
bibbjs

Post by bibbjs »

So we got an estimate to install the Next Gen 3.5 kW generator and it came in around $14k! Does this seem reasonable? The breakdown includes about $3k in parts and $4.5k in labor on top of the base generator cost. Clearly I can save some of the labor - but this seems REALLY high to me.

Thoughts?
J.
J. Bibb
Magick Dragon (formerly Snooze Time)
Hull #45
JohnForr

Re: Nextgen 3.5KW phasor gen

Post by JohnForr »

For what it is worth I have a phasor 3.5 generator on my boat. Hull #007. According to a broker the install price is much lower than 14k. Mine is in the cockpit port stern locker, has a sound shield and a shelf sits an top of it with a small hatch to access it from the stern berth.
It is working great and does power air. You need to turn everything off, get the air running and then you can turn other things on. The phasor is powered by a kubota engine. I called the factory last week and they answered and referred me to a nearby mechanic and parts person in fort myers.
You do need to run them every week according to the manual.
John & Mary Jane Forr
Punta Gorda, Fl
Hull #007
nybor

Re:Generator locking up

Post by nybor »

Hi folks. My friend has a 38 cat and was struck by lightning ($70k and counting). However, he said that his Panda generator is "locked" and can't be turned - even by hand. He is in Colorado and hasn't had a chance to check it out, but does anyone have an idea what could have caused this? One is that the lightning fried the alternator?

thanks

dave