6V Golf Cart Battery Upgrade

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's electrical systems or electronics here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Barbara

6V Golf Cart Battery Upgrade

Post by Barbara »

Battery Upgrade and Installation

On New Years Eve 2004, we decided to find a nice quiet anchorage to ring in the new year. We started the engine and headed out to our local sailing area. As soon as we reached the river, we pulled out the sails and turned off the engine. Within 10 minutes, we began to notice some problems. The stereo suddenly malfunctioned and kept turning itself off. Then the autopilot began spontaneously rebooting. It dawned on us that the batteries were dead and a quick check of the Link 20 confirmed this. Since it was already very late afternoon, we realized we needed to get the engine started quickly. It would be difficult to be stuck out on the empty waterways after dark and even harder to find a tow boat. Fortunately, we had a jump start kit that had just enough power in it from the last time it had been charged to get us started. After a few tense minutes, we got the engine started and headed back to the marina to plug into shore power for the night.

A check of the battery compartment showed us that the standard batteries had boiled completely dry and battery acid had leaked out into the compartment. Despite regular maintenance with distilled water, the batteries were somehow completely dry. It’s not clear whether it slowly dropped below the critical level or whether the battery charger went awry. In either case, we decided to take the opportunity to upgrade the batteries to more robust golf cart batteries. A little research helped us find and decide to go with the Trojan T-105 6volt golf cart batteries, which are 225ah each. With 4 of these batteries, each pair tied in series, we will have a total of 450 ah. We found the batteries locally at a cost of about $62 each.

As far as getting the old batteries out, my husband and a friend of ours were able to get them out without too much difficulty. They're very heavy, but luckily there is a rope handle on each end. They had to dig around to get access to each of the handles, then each took a side and lifted. They did have to maneuver them about a bit within the storage area to get them out, since the space is tight. We briefly considered using a halyard to crank them up and out, but hand lifting was pretty quick and we abandoned the idea.

The good news is 4 of the new batteries fit very well in the battery compartment. In fact, they take up less room than the stock batteries. The height was not a problem, which we thought might be the case. We modified the tie down boards by ripping them in half and added some new wedges made from 2x4s to secure the batteries properly. The tie downs were placed so that the caps for the batteries can be easily accessed for maintenance. For wiring, we used the same configuration we already had. The only modification was to tie each pair of batteries in series with a short run of battery cable.

We read in West Marine catalog that the 6v batteries are not optimized for starting; however, it also says that starting will not damage them. We may add a starting battery sometime down the road, but these should be sufficient until then. We have given serious thought to replacing the charger, but so far so good with current charger. The batteries do not seem to be losing water. However, we will be keeping a very careful eye to make sure it does not become a problem again.

There are two models of Trojan T-105 batteries. We used the terminals on the top of the battery, which are like any other battery. Here is a link to the Trojan site and the battery where you can see the post. http://www.trojanbattery.com/Products/P ... Name=T-105

Anyone wanting to do this upgrade will find that the actual replacement is a quick process. Modifications to the tie downs and wedges takes a little more time, due to measuring, cutting, painting, drilling and securing.

Here is a picture of the finished project, showing how they fit in the compartment, the tie downs, and wiring.

Lesson learned: Always check battery strength before leaving the dock. Don’t just assume they are fine.[/img]
Barbara
#76 Freedom

"Wherever we want to go, we go. That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel and hull and a deck and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."
Richard Thabit

6 volt Golf Cart battery upgrade

Post by Richard Thabit »

Since you posted your Installation in November 2004, how has this upgrade been working and would you do it again?
I finally need to replace my original two 4 year old 4D batteries as I prepare my boat for it's 5th season. Winter storage did them in, but they were showing signs of weakening last October as that season was coming to a close. I pulled both out of the boat today put them in the trunk of my car and now need to decide what to buy. I noticed that they were Exide Marine Deep Cycle and are labeled as 850 MCA and 25 min. Reserve. I guess I am lucky I got 4 seasons, but the boat is in a slip and plugged into shore power most of the time. I do not have an inverter or a separate starting battery.

Any comments are welcome as I have no prior experience with batteries.

Thanks in advance,
Richard Thabit
Three Sheets
Hull#111
LONGHAWK

batteries

Post by LONGHAWK »

I too went with 4 Trojan 6 volt batteries. It's a great set-up. Had them in a little over a year, Works great. i do have an additional starting battery.

Sam
LONGHAWK #173
Jack McDonald

Post by Jack McDonald »

In Barbara's original post, she said she found the Trojan batteries for $62 each. Does anyone know where to get these batteries at that price? Also, has anyone tried using the Trojan T145 batteries? They're almost an inch taller.
Jack
Friendship
C350, #80
Chesapeake Bay
Richard Thabit

6 volt batteries

Post by Richard Thabit »

I did not find a local place to buy Trojan T-105 batteries so I went to an Interstate distributor in Carlstadt, NJ. Last night I purchased 4 U2200 6 volt batteries which are slightly more powerful than the Trojan T-105's for $82.95 each. They are sold for Golf Carts and the distributor told me that many RV folks are doing this change too. They are labeled Deep Cycle "C3 Anvanced Capacity". Interstate took the old 4D's and gave me $35 each.
They measure 10 1/4" long X 7 1/8" wide X 11 1/8" high and based on my measurements should fit using flat nuts and washers in place of wing nuts.

Specs are: Ah 232; Reserve Capacity @ 25 A 474; Reserve @ 75 A 122.

I expect to install them this afternoon and will let you know what I needed to do to fit them.
Richard
THree Sheets
C350 #111
Richard Thabit

6 volt Golf Cart battery upgrade

Post by Richard Thabit »

I finished the installation using the Interstate U2200 batteries. It looks very much like the photo in the original write up by Barbara. I had to cut blocks of wood to fit the spaces to prevent battery movement. The height was OK as I used regular nuts, not wing nuts.
Windseeker

Re: 6V Golf Cart Battery Upgrade

Post by Windseeker »

How in the world did you get 4 seasons out of a battery? I could never get the flooded Lead acid batteries to last more than 2 seasons.

Back in 2006, the wife and I were on a cruise, and the batteries were not keeping up. In the morning, with the anchor light running all night, I could not start the engine. I switched banks, started the engine, and pulled into port and upgraded to (2) 4D AGM batteries. Very expensive, but very impressive! Power seemed to be no longer an issue. I could run whatever I wanted and still fire the engine in the morning. Fast forward 4 years. The batteries are dead. I talked to my supplier and apparently, I did not do a good job of maintaining them. The AGM batteries do not like to sit in a dischaged state for prolong periods of time. I should have gotten 7 year out of these batteries.

I like this 6 volt configuration. I will look at possible AGM batteries for this. According to my supplier, the AGM batteries need to be charged when the level is at 50%. I'm adding a Xantrex Linklite to warn me when we are at 70% capacity. Also, I plan to get the Honda EU2000 generator that will charge these and even run a microwave when needed. This will be much better that running the engine for an hour or so. 2010 will be a much better experience.

As a side note, I was advised that it is against code that flooded batteries to be in service in a confined space due to gas ommission. Are you guys aware of this?
s/v: Wind Seeker
Hull #75
Chester River - Chesapeake Bay
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Mark, did you change the output voltage on the battery charger when you switched to AGM batteries? I believe the switch in on the back of the charger. If not, that may explain why your batteries are dying prematurely.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
Windseeker

Post by Windseeker »

The rabbit hole goes deeper.

Yes, I have the newer Charles charger that has the switch in the back. I did select it for AGM when I installed the batteries. I have a really good supplier that specializes in Batteries, Alternators and Starters. The Catalina factory alternator is fixed at 14.7 volts. The current theory is that the batteries could be over-charged from the alternator. The supplier offers an external regulator for bulk and float. This is the way to go for the expensive batteries. The AGM's do not like pro-longed constant charge from what I am told. Nor, do they like to sit at a discharged state for periods of time. Very temporamental. Kinda like a woman. (oops! Did I say that? I'm soo sorry! I'm married. I have an excuse!)

Another theory (from another person) is that I may have bad alternator diodes, but I am not (yet) convinced of that. The batteries are not caved. This Friday, I will pull the alternator so he can test it. He can also pop the lid on the batteries and tell me exactly what is happening.

This is what I found interesting: The (4) AGM golf cart batteries would cost $100 more than than the (2) 4D's, but they can handle more charge cycles. That's a plus considering the weight of the 4D's. I can also maintain them as they fail. The 4D AGM batteries are HEAVY! The AH are basically equal. I'll keep you posted.

mark
Hull #75
Windseeker

Post by Windseeker »

The alternator checked out fine. We pulled the caps on the one AGM battery reading 89CCA and did not find any evidence of overcharging. There was no collapse on the walls indicating undercharge. Dustin pulled out his meter and read the battery OK. The current theory is that Mark does not know how to use a battery tester! I had a tester I could set-up for AGM and input the CCA. I'm not sure about Dustin's tester. The other battery was reading 756CCA (70%) and my meter was recommending to replace, where his said it was fine. We decided to keep this one and replace the one with the pulled caps (AGM's do not like exposure to Oxegen).

The funny thing is I can run for hours on the alternator, then pull into port and the Charles will still charge the batteries. We looked at the pully dimensions and they are not that far apart. The crank pulley is 4" Dia and the alternator pulley is 3". It could be that the alternator is not putting out enough amps if I am running at 1500-2000 RPM. One suggestion would be to go with the Balmor 100 amp alternator and external multi-stage regulator. I might have to change the pulleys.

My soultion is to abandon that $1000 solution and go with the portable generator. The 2000 Watt generator can handle the Charles and the price is nearly the same plus the added benefits of running the microwave, Hair dryer and who knows what else. This, along with the new Xantrex monitor should work for this year.
Hull #75
Bearlakesailor

Post by Bearlakesailor »

OK, so I've been reading about this upgrade & I am wondering...where are you all putting the "dedicated starting battery"?

Does anyone have a diagram on how to hook up the house batteries in "series"?
Justin Lee
Hull #185
Bear Lake, UT
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

[quote="Licensetochill" Does anyone have a diagram on how to hook up the house batteries in "series"?[/quote]

1. Two 12 VDC batteries wired in series: positive of battery #1 to house positive. Positive of battery #1 to positive of battery #2. Negative of battery #2 to house ground. Negative of battery #1 to negative of battery #2.

2. Two 6 VDC batteries wired in SERIES: Positive of battery #1 to house positive. Negative of battery #1 to positive of battery #2. Negative of battery #2 to house ground.

3. Four 6 VDC batteries wired in series in parallel: Wire each pair of 6 VDC batteries as in #2 above. Then wire that pair as in #1 above. Said another way, treat two 6 VDC batteries wired in series as a "12 VDC battery in two pieces".

Brett
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Here's a diagram of how I wired my 4 6 volt golf cart batteries and 1 12volt starting battery.
Attachments
Series_parallel battery configuration.JPG
Series_parallel battery configuration.JPG (22.59 KiB) Viewed 5153 times
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
Hans Grasman

Post by Hans Grasman »

Ken,
I also went to the 4 6V batteries. How did you fit the 12 volt can you send a picture ?
Thanks
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Hans, here's a picture. They take up almost the same footprint as the 4D's except they are a bit taller.

Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
Hans Grasman

Post by Hans Grasman »

Ken,
I have the 4 6v batteries in the same place but you indicated that you also have a 5th battery 12V.
Where did you locate that one ?
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Hans, the 12v starting battery is in the lazarett adjacent to the battery box where the golf carts are stored.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
tranquilcat42

Post by tranquilcat42 »

Just got towed in last night when the batteries discharged and unable to start engine. When hooked up to shore power starts right up. Am thinking its time to replace the batteries.

Tranquil is a 2004, hull # 187

I like the idea of 4 replacement batteries and an additional starting battery - however - I do not see any pictures of where that starting battery is located. Can you specify and send a photo if you have one?

The sailing season in Chicago is very short, and I hope to get these replace quickly!

Thank you again

Teri
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Teri, I don't have a picture of the starting battery but I put it in a battery box in the lazarett just forward of the compartment where the main batteries are located. If that doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll try and clarify.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
tranquilcat42

Post by tranquilcat42 »

I have naive questions:
1. why is a golf cart battery needed and not a regular marine battery? or a gel cel marine battery?
Is there something specific to the 350 that requires this?

2. my mechanic is asking what series the original batteries are i.e. series 26 or 27. Do you know?

3. my mechanic is also saying that I could put 3 marine 6v gel cells and 1 12 volt starter in the same space - that sounds inaccurate to me-I thought they had to be redundant configurations (2 6V each) PLUS a 12V starter - your thoughts?

I am thinking that all the 350 owners did the same thing for a good reason I just dont know what those reasons are for:

1. using specific Trojan golf cart batteries 6V each- not marine batteries
2. replacing the existing 2 batteries with 4 6volt golf cart batteries and added a 12V starter in addition - not replace existing 2 batteries with 3 6V marine and 1 12V marine starter

I appreciate your help

Teri Weber
847 209 4075