Snake River Tank Monitor

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's electrical systems or electronics here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

KenKrawford

Snake River Tank Monitor

Post by KenKrawford »

Does anyone know where the tank monitor gets its power supply from? Yesterday I was rearranging batteries/cables to install a dedicated starting battery. I noticed that when I disconnected the positive cable from battery # 2, my tank monitor didn't work. Everything else did.
By the way, I also noticed that my panel volt meter was wired backwards. With the selector switch on battery # 1, I showed zero volts and when on # 2 (the disconnected battery) there was 12 volts. It was easy enough to switch the leads on the back of the volt meter but you may want to check yours if you are relying on the readout of a specific battery.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
Last Boat

Panel Volt Meter Wired Backwards

Post by Last Boat »

Ken,
My Volt Meter was wired backwards also. I identified it as I was shutting down this weekend. Thanks for the recommended fix. I thought I would have to switch the feed cables at the battery or battery switch.
Nelson Gainey
Last Boat
C350 #345
jnnielsen
Site Admin

Same problem.

Post by jnnielsen »

I had the same problem. It didn't get fixed until I had soemone working on another electrical problem. It was kind of aggravating. That ought to be a no brainer quality control issue.

jerry Nielsen - Webmaster
Wind * Rose, #266
Chuck_on_Hudson

Re: Snake River Tank Monitor

Post by Chuck_on_Hudson »

I did not see a clear answer to the first question - where does the tank level monitor panel get its power from? Yes it comes from the battery, but by what route? There is no power switch for it on the main electrical panel but instead it has its own on/off switch on the unit display.

I had its multi-pin board connector off today to get the wood panel out of the way to work on something else and upon reconnecting, I find I have no power to the device. Using a multi-meter, there is no voltage to the connector. Is there an in-line fuse for it? I will have to take the big wire bundle out of the split wire loom to start tracing lines.

Thanks for any suggestions or advice
dennisferriello

Post by dennisferriello »

HI
Been awhile since I have been here.
I supply Catalina with there monitors. I have supplied them for many years, way back to the snake river unit.
They have to have it hooked to
a 1 amp fuse, NO higher then that.
there has to be a panel where you should be able to find the 1 amp fuse..
Sorry I don't have a better answer.
On retail orders we supply a fuse holder and fuse so you can hook up anywhere and put the fuse anywhere you want it.
Dennis

Ferriello Sales LLC
dennis@ferriellosales.com
www.ferriellosales.com
Chuck_on_Hudson

Post by Chuck_on_Hudson »

To follow up...

Found the fuse holder for the tank monitor. It shares a common connection with the bilge pump's direct-to-battery circuit. The tank monitor is protected by a 1/2 amp AGC fuse. The fuse was bad - looked like the thin wire failed by vibration fatigue and did not blow out. Replaced the fuse and tank monitor works again.

Thanks
ps23435

Post by ps23435 »

My tank monitor stopped working suddenly. I've been looking for the fuse. This may be a dumb question but... the last post identified where the tank monitor fuse was: "Found the fuse holder for the tank monitor. It shares a common connection with the bilge pump's direct-to-battery circuit." ... specifically where is that fuse holder? In the battery compartment (all I can find are 2 40A fuses there)? Behind the electrical panel? Any help appreciated.

Thanks.
Pete & Anita
Slip Away #437
Hampton, VA
KevinMc

Post by KevinMc »

On my C350 the fuse is connected in-line about 6 inches from the monitor. It was inside the black plastic wire guide so just trace back from the monitor and you should find it.
Kevin
NavSta Norfolk Marina
dennisferriello

KenKrawford wrote:Does anyone know where the tank monitor gets its power supply from? Yesterday I was rearranging batteries/cables to install a dedicated starting battery. I noticed that when I disconnected the positive cable from battery # 2, my tank monitor didn't work. Everything else did.
By the way, I also noticed that my panel volt meter was wired backwards. With the selector switch on battery # 1, I showed zero volts and when on # 2 (the disconnected battery) there was 12 volts. It was easy enough to switch the leads on the back of the volt meter but you may want to check yours if you are relying on the readout of a specific battery.
dennisferriello

Ken:
Sent a reply but can't find it. On the fuse we supplied a fuse holder and a 1 amp fuse. The fuse
holder should be close to the panel and only be for the unit. Anything bigger can hurt the panel.

Dennis Ferriello
www.ferriellosales.com
dennis@ferriellosales.com